Politics & Government
The study will look at specific areas of the coast from Will Rogers State Beach to Torrance Beach to consider future units of the NPS.
Rachel Barnes , Patch Staff
SANTA MONICA, CA — Local environmental activists celebrated this month thanks to the passage of federal legislation that directs the National Parks Service to study natural resources, recreation possibilities and cultural and historical resources along the coast of Los Angeles County.
In December, Congressman Ted Lieu announced he signed a bill into law that would look at specific areas of the coast from Will Rogers State Beach to Torrance Beach as part of a three-year study to consider which areas could be included in a future unit of the NPS.
Specifically, the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area Boundary Adjustment Study Act will have the National Park Service conduct a Special Resource Study to determine whether to add much of the Santa Monica Bay watershed to the existing recreational area or make it a new national recreation area.
"We are so grateful to our Congressmember, Ted Lieu, for his leadership and for staying with this effort through the last six and a half years to get this study bill approved. And we look forward to working with Representative Lieu for the next few years as we move this study bill into creating a unit of the National Park Service here on the Los Angeles coast!" said Marcia Hanscom, Director of Los Angeles Coast Forever!
Potential study areas include:
- Sensitive public access to beaches, coastal trails, wetlands and sand dunes for enjoyment and learning
- Honoring Indigenous tribal people of the L.A. coast and developing interpretive educational opportunities that highlight African American histories in Venice and the South bay beach cities
- Preserving historically and culturally important landmarks that include three lighthouses, the Korean Friendship Bell and other historically significant areas such as the Venice Beach House and Village Green
- Protection of fragile habitats for rare and imperiled species
“I am particularly delighted to learn of the passage of his legislation in the recent omnibus bill that will bring the National Park Service into L.A. coastal areas where so much of their expertise and professional guidance can help ensure protection of places like the Ballona Wetlands, the Baldwin Hills and so many more important ecosystems,” said Beth Holden-Garland, Pacific Palisades resident and member of Los Angeles Coast Forever!
Funding for the study came from President Joe Biden’s $1.7 trillion omnibus spending package signed at the end of 2022. Lieu secured $22 million of that total to go toward the Los Angeles coast National Parks Service study and other community projects in the county.
After the three-year study is completed, the results and any conclusions and recommendations will be submitted to Natural Resources committees in the Senate and House of Representatives according to the bill.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.
The rules of replying:
- Be respectful.
- Be transparent.
- Keep it local and relevant.
- Review the Patch Community Guidelines.
Santa Monica Can Expect More Water After Recent Rains
- Park Service needs a new conservationist leader
- Generate 150ha mangrove forest in Mui Ca Mau National Park to fight climate change
- Scientists study cause of endangered whale calf’s death
- Familiar Bay Area face named superintendent of Point Reyes National Seashore
- Santa Cruz’s rail trail inches towards completion
- Jacob Rees-Mogg blasts National Trust for not realising 'how wonderful' Winston Churchill was after it included World War Two hero's home on 'woke' list of properties linked to slavery and colonialism
- Historic Drop in US Greenhouse Gases Amid Pandemic Hindered by Extreme Wildfires - Study
- Energy transition must go hand in hand with 'Just Transition': Study
- Trump's ruinous parting shot at the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge
- 64,600 displaced by raging fires in San Mateo, Santa Cruz counties
- 130 Secret Service officers are in COVID quarantine after testing positive or being exposed while guarding Donald Trump - including at mask-free rallies and White House's Election Night superspreader party
- LA North Studios Developing New Soundstage In Santa Clarita, CA For 2021
|The Wolf...A Howling in America's National Parks5.0★ / $15||Dell B5460dn 63-PPM Laser Printer, with 3-Year Basic Limited Warranty and 3-Year NBD Onsite Service check it now at Amazon||Coolpix L Series Protection Kit includes Nikon 3 year Extended Warranty & Nikon Camera Case check it now at Amazon||Ultra-Thin Universal Full Motion TV Wall Mount Universal brackets fit most flat-panel TVs 32" – 80", Includes a 3 year warranty check it now at Amazon||Double Double: How to Double Your Revenue and Profit in 3 Years or Less4.8★ / $31.55||Speedwealth: How to Make a Million in Your Own Business in 3 Years or Less4.3★ / $19.7||Colin and Liz on Tour: 40 Countries in 3 Years check it now at Amazon||Stop Getting Dumped!: All You Need to Know to Make Men Fall Madly in Love with You and Marry 'The One' in 3 Years or Less$5.22||Hidden Big Island of Hawaii: Including the Kona Coast, Hilo, Kailua and Volcanos National Park$1.95||Have Fun & Get It Done Graduate from a Top University in 3 Years or Less Without Being a Genius4.9★ / $1.97||The Million Dollar Equation: How to build a million dollar business in 3 years or less$19.99||Zero Degree to Accredited Masters Degree in 3 Years or Less!: How to Get Your Accredited Degree Fast and Cheap5.0★ / check it now at Amazon||Hidden Big Island of Hawaii: Including the Kona Coast, Hilo, Kailua, and Volcanoes National Park (Hidden Travel)$8.63||Conservation Biology in Hawaii (Cooperative National Park Resources Study Unit)4.0★ / $8.18||Travel Hacking: How I saved $13k in 3 years on travel (with my wife and baby!) check it now at Amazon||Become a Millionaire In 3 Years: Make Money Young and Enjoy It check it now at Amazon||Teach in Korea: Escape Unemployment, Destroy $30,000 of Debt in 3 Years, Survive and Thrive in the New Economy check it now at Amazon||The 7 Steps to Getting A $100K+ IT Job in 3 Years (IT Career Secrets)$9.87||Become a Millionaire in 3 Years! check it now at Amazon||Big Star Men's Pioneer Bootcut Jean in 3 Year Carbon check it now at Amazon||AG Adriano Goldschmied Men's Protege Straight Leg Jean In 3 Years Attaway check it now at Amazon||AG Adriano Goldschmied Men's The Matchbox Jean In 3 Years Sulfur Willow Beige check it now at Amazon||AG Adriano Goldschmied Men's Protege Straight Leg Jean In 3 Years Resin check it now at Amazon||AG Adriano Goldschmied Men's Graduate Straight-Leg Jean in 3 Years Black check it now at Amazon||AG Adriano Goldschmied Men's The Geffen Easy Slim Fit Jean in 3 Year Resin check it now at Amazon||AG Adriano Goldschmied Women's Slim Boot Jean in 3 Years Cobalt check it now at Amazon||PAIGE Women's Santa Monica Flare Jean in Siren check it now at Amazon||PAY OFF YOUR MORTGAGE IN 3 YEARS: The 4-Step System That Will Save You Years and Thousands in Interest Payments$6.99||How To Pay Off Your Mortgage In 3 Years (Instead of 30) Fast and Early for Beginners with Step by Step Instructions$12.97||FRIDGE MAGNET Waterfall in Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Ohio Autumn Fridge Magnet Size 2.5In x 3.5In, p0414$8.99|
Santa Monica Coast Included In 3-Year National Parks Service Study have 1201 words, post on patch.com at February 2, 2023. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.