For more stories like this, check out The Chronicle’s weekly Travel newsletter! Sign up here. In an announcement of pending new regional stay-at-home restrictions on Thursday, Gov. Gavin Newsom implored Californians to forgo traveling for the foreseeable future. The new approach to stem the third major surge of the coronavirus carves the state’s 58 counties into five regional groups. If hospital ICU capacity in a given group hits 85%, the counties in that group will be subject to a set of strict lockdown measures for at least three weeks — which include barring residents from non-essential traveling outside of their respective home counties and closing certain outdoor venues like playgrounds, zoos and amusement parks. Although the state hasn’t applied the new rules to any group yet, the state’s Covid information website dissuades people from non-essential travel: “Stay in your county if you can. Don’t drive more than 2-3 hours.” It adds that people should “avoid traveling long distances for vacations or pleasure as much as possible.” The state’s tourism bureau, Visit California, issued an interpretation of Newsom’s announcement, saying the state has “banned non-essential travel in most of the state beginning Dec. 4.” Related Stories PoliticsBy Alexei Koseff and Peter… Read full this story
- Toll Brothers’ new-home orders see the steepest drop since 2010 housing crash
- Measles outbreak 2019: School tells unvaccinated kids to stay home
- Measles outbreak: Birmingham school tells unvaccinated kids to stay home
- ‘Stay home please!’ CHP tells Tahoe-bound drivers
- Knox Sheriff: Several rescues in high waters, stay home if possible
- Arizona track athletes see value in staying home for school
- People with Flu symptoms urged to stay home
- Poly basketball standout Justin Rene stays home, commits to Long Beach State
- WARNING: Augusta Regional Airport tells travelers to get there early as mass exodus begins!
- Illinois home care, child care workers to get overdue raises
With stay-at-home order, Newsom dissuades travel, recommends getting outdoors have 322 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at December 4, 2020. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.