MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – Six months after the death of George Floyd, city officials remain divided on their approach to police funding in Minneapolis. On Friday, three Minneapolis City Council members unveiled their “Safety for All Budget Plan,” which would cut $8 million from Mayor Jacob Frey’s proposed 2021 police budget. Penned by Phillipe Cunningham, Steve Fletcher and Council President Lisa Bender, the plan outlines methods for providing appropriate responses for calls, intervening in cycles of violence, and increasing resources for civilian-led police accountability. It also cuts the number of officers to 770 for 2021, with a plan to decrease the number to 750 in future years. Frey’s proposal, on the other hand, calls for 888 sworn officers for 2021, an already-reduced number due to a city-wide hiring freeze. However, his plan allows for more officers to be added in future years. “The mayor would have significant concerns if his council colleagues attempted to make such large, permanent cuts to the number of officers in the department without sound data or community input to support such a decision,” a spokesperson from Frey’s office said in a statement. Cunningham has said that his proposed plan builds on work by the Office of Violence… Read full this story
- What Does Your City Council Candidate Stand For - Ted Mertens Indian Wells Candidate - Case Study
- Local Politics For City Council - Case Study in Candidate Platforms That Work
- DC City Council to Hold Public Hearing Thursday on Bill to Fully Decriminalize Sex Trade
- Amazon to Seattle: Nice City Council You've Got There
- Murrieta Welcomes New Council Member
- The Times recommends: James Alberson for Renton City Council, Position 3
- How to Make Your Gifts Look Like Million-Dollar Gifts
- Grand Theft Auto IV(4) PS3 - Liberty City Has Never Looked So Good
- MBA Admission Secrets - What Do Business School Admission Committee Members Look For?
- How Desert City Government Buildings Can Reduce Energy Consumption by 20% Right Now!
Three Mpls. City Council Members Look To Cut $8 Million From Mayor Frey’s 2021 Police Budget have 329 words, post on minnesota.cbslocal.com at November 27, 2020. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.