Julian Zelizer, a CNN political analyst, is a professor of history and public affairs at Princeton University and author of the book, “Burning Down the House: Newt Gingrich, the Fall of a Speaker, and the Rise of the New Republican Party.” Follow him on Twitter @julianzelizer. The views expressed in this commentary are his own. View more opinion at CNN. (CNN)President Donald Trump is conducting an all-out assault on our democracy. There is no other way to look at this. The President lost the election and his legal team has failed to produce evidence of voter fraud. So now President Trump is attempting to convince state legislatures to overthrow the results. Voters made their decision, and yet he wants to force a different outcome. His attorney, Rudy Giuliani, is spewing the kinds of conspiracy theories that even conspiracy theorists shy away from. This is dangerous stuff. When some writers, such as Barton Gellman, writing in the Atlantic, predicted this would happen, too many people shrugged off the warning. Julian Zelizer None of this should come as a surprise. In February, Congressman Adam Schiff, chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, warned the Senate at the end of the President’s impeachment trial:… Read full this story
- Richard Lugar, six-term senator and leading voice on foreign policy, dies at 87
- Texas is leading fundraising state for Donald Trump’s re-election so far
- Republican Fred Keller wins Pennsylvania special election
- Romano wins third term as CT Republican chairman
- Trump Tax Plan Leads to $54 Billion Decline in Charitable Giving
- Americans Trust Scientists, Until Politics Gets in the Way
- Why did Arizona Republican Party fundraising plummet under Kelli Ward?
- Kamala Harris takes early lead in the big-money race
- UCLA’s skewed hiring process leads to lack of political, intellectual diversity
- Arizona Republican Russell Pearce: 'It may take the shedding of blood' to save U.S.
The only way Republicans can lead again have 323 words, post on edition.cnn.com at November 22, 2020. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.