JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) — Indonesia’s anti-corruption commission formally named the country’s fisheries minister as a suspect in taking bribes related to exports of lobster larvae, and alleged he used the money on a luxury shopping spree during a visit to the United States. Maritime Affairs and Fisheries Minister Edhy Prabowo was arrested upon arrival at Jakarta’s Soekarno-Hatta International Airport early Wednesday from a working visit to the U.S., the deputy chairman of the Corruption Eradication Commission, Nurul Ghufron, told Kompas TV. Prabowo apologized, saying, “I will be responsible for what I have done.” He was later named as a suspect along with five other officials and a businessman for allegedly taking bribes in exchange for permits related to exports of lobster larvae and other commodities this year. The anti-corruption commission, known in Indonesia by its acronym KPK, said Prabowo is accused of receiving at least 3.4 billion rupiah ($240,000) from several companies through his two personal assistants, who were also named as suspects, this month. Another deputy chairman of the KPK, Nawawi Pamolango, told a news conference just before midnight that Prabowo and his wife had spent some of the money to buy branded goods during their U.S. visit, including… Read full this story
- Unhappy MLAs taken as guardian ministers, Aaditya Thackeray given charge of Mumbai Suburban District
- India campus attack: police fail to make arrests but charge injured student
- Islamic religious leader in Texas arrested on charges of sex crimes against children
- J Hus arrested and charged with carrying knife
- Two arrested on charges of land grab
- Like mother like daughter! Dina Lohan arrested and charged with DUI
- Louisiana man arrested, accused of killing 3 homeless people
- 'Arson is not caused by climate change': Row breaks out over real cause of Australia's bushfires after it emerges more than 180 people have been arrested for starting them
- Upset Over CAA, NRC, Karnataka Man Issues Death Threats to PM Modi, Amit Shah; Arrested
- Fotis Dulos, 52, 'restrained his estranged wife with zip ties before killing her', police claim - as they charge him with murder and his girlfriend and lawyer are arrested for 'covering up the crime'
Indonesian minister apologizes after arrest on bribe charge have 366 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at November 26, 2020. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.