The top U.S. infectious disease expert warned Sunday of a possible, upcoming spike of the coronavirus. Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, speaking on “This Week” on ABC-TV, said the infection rate would not “all of a sudden turn around” and in the coming weeks, following the recent Thanksgiving holiday, “We may see a surge upon a surge.” Also Sunday, Dr. Deborah L. Birx, the White House coronavirus response coordinator, said on “Face the Nation” on CBS-TV, that people who traveled during the holiday “have to assume that you were exposed, and you became infected and you really need to get tested in the next week.” She also called on people who had traveled during the holiday to avoid people older than 65 or who have an underlying disease. The U.S. has 13.3 million of the world’s 62.7 million COVID-19 cases, according to the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center. The U.S. has more cases of the virus than any other country in the world. India and Brazil follow the U.S. in case numbers with 9.3 million and 6.3 million respectively. India recorded nearly 42,000 new COVID infections Sunday, according to Johns Hopkins. In Europe, some countries are hoping for a continent wide agreement to shut down ski resorts during the Christmas holidays to help prevent spreading the coronavirus. No unified pact, however, has yet been reached. The World Health Organization… Read full this story
- Hurricane Michael Storm Surge Map: Flood Warnings and Watches Issued by NHC
- Hurricane Michael Flooding Map: 'Life-threatening' Storm Surge Watch Issued in Florida
- Hurricane Michael Storm Surge Flooding Map: Risk Levels For Panama City, Lynn Haven, Tallahassee
- "You are taking the ocean and raising it:' Explaining the meaning of storm surge
- How storm surges build up, destroy and kill
- Why coastal communities should fear storm surge
- Surge Holdings To Offer Money Order Services
- Hurricane Michael could bring catastrophic storm surges: What are they, and how can you prepare?
- Hurricane Watch Vs. Warning: What the Terms Mean, and What Is Storm Surge?
- Hurricane Florence batters North Carolina with storm surge, rain, winds
Fauci Warns of COVID 'Surge Upon a Surge' have 366 words, post on www.voanews.com at November 30, 2020. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.