Malaysia’s king on Sunday rejected a proposal by embattled Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin to declare a state of emergency to fight a new outbreak of the coronavirus .The plan by Muhyiddin, which involves suspending Parliament, has sparked national outrage, with critics slamming the move as an undemocratic means for him to hang on to power amid challenges to his leadership.The palace said in a statement that Sultan Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah is of the opinion that there is currently no need for His Majesty to declare a state of emergency in this country or any part of Malaysia.”Mr. Muhyiddin met with the monarch on Friday to seek royal assent but hasn’t made any public comment. The palace’s statement came after the king conferred with other royal households earlier Sunday to discuss the prime minister’s proposal.Sultan Abdullah said the government has handled the pandemic well and believes that Mr. Muhyiddin is capable of implementing measures to cope with the crisis.But the monarch called for a halt to all politicking” that could disrupt the government’s stability.The king can declare a state of emergency that allows the country to be governed through ordinances that cannot be challenged in court.Mr. Muhyiddin took power in… Read full this story
- EU to reject PM's call for Northern Ireland 'backstop' to be time limited
- Florida, Mississippi and Alabama declare emergencies ahead of storm Alberto
- It's official, Dr Mahathir is Malaysia's 7th PM... and the world's oldest
- Malaysia King agrees to pardon Anwar Ibrahim, says PM Mahathir
- Malaysia's ex-PM Najib says questioning has concluded after 6 hours on second day at anti-graft agency
- Malaysia king to pardon opposition's Anwar, paving way for return to politics
- Malaysia king agrees to pardon Anwar immediately
- Hundreds of designer bags, jewelry, cash seized in Malaysia from ex-PM
- Malaysia’s ex-PM Najib rails at police, wife Rosmah warns of 'public trial'
- I am ready for the PM post if Cong emerges as largest party: Rahul
Malaysia’s king rejects PM Yassin’s proposal to declare emergency have 343 words, post on www.thehindu.com at October 26, 2020. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.