FRESNO — Saul Hernandez heard the fire was on the other side of the mountain, so the heavy smoke and crimson sun didn’t bother him much Saturday at the popular Mammoth Pool Reservoir in Fresno County. But by Saturday afternoon, he saw flames, higher than the treetops surrounding the reservoir and whipping around the lake. The one route in and out of the recreation area was burning and trees were falling across the roadway, trapping Labor Day weekend campers. Hernandez, a 26-year-old Los Angeles resident on his first camping trip with his buddy, abandoned their campsite, tent and car and jumped into the water, wading waist deep as the monster Creek Fire gobbled up trees and brush. “The smoke and debris was just coming out of nowhere and hitting us. We tried to cover our eyes and mouths and duck, but it was difficult to breathe,” recalled Hernandez, as he stood with two pairs of shoes slung over his shoulder outside a Fresno evacuation center. “It felt like we were sitting in an oven.” Then help came. Two helicopter crews — pilots donning night vision goggles — braved the darkness, smoke, ash and heavy winds to land nearby, evacuating 214… Read full this story
- Love Island's Jess gets death threats over Mike snog as sick trolls tell her 'go die in a fire'
- Student, 22, died under a passenger train after his health deteriorated due to an 'oddball' diet he had been following off the internet, inquest hears
- French surfing champion Poeti Norac dies aged 24
- Abuse survivor who made the Duchess of Cornwall realise she 'had to do something': Rachel Williams was strangled and beaten for 18 years by husband who shot her when she filed for divorce - and lost her traumatised son to suicide
- I’ve fostered 30 kids, had 7 miscarriages and nearly died from ectopic pregnancy – but finally had 3 kids of my own
- French Holocaust survivor speaks up after 40 years, recalls how Nazis walked Jews into gas chamber
- Shopper, 36, tells how she cheated death when Streatham jihadi Sudesh Amman stabbed her during his rampage – but BEFORE he’d take his knife out of its plastic packaging
- Aspiring model's dreams are dashed after she suffered horrific third degree burns all over her face in a freak EXPLOSION - which left her unable to walk, talk, or open her mouth
- British teen 'gang raped' in Cyprus tells her full story: She reveals how holiday fling with footballer turned to horror and says 'I don't know how many Israeli boys raped me - but I thought "If I don't get out of here, I'll die'"
- This season’s Survivor contestants are a pack of liars — and it’s great TV
‘We thought we were going to die’: Survivors tell harrowing tales of explosive Creek Fire have 457 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at September 7, 2020. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.