Back in 2018, when Bob Woodward first reported that President Donald Trump had ordered the assassination of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, Trump baulked at the mere suggestion. “No, that was never even contemplated, nor would it be contemplated and it should not have been written about in the book,” he said at the time. Well, on Tuesday morning, he admitted that it was actually true. In an interview with Fox & Friends, Trump happily contradicted himself and said: “I would’ve rather taken [Assad] out. I had it all set. Mattis didn’t want to do it.” Asked if he regretted not killing Assad, the president said: “No, I don’t regret that. I could have lived either way with that. I considered [Assad] certainly not a good person. But I had a shot to take him out if I wanted but Mattis was against it.” According to Woodward’s first book on the dysfunctional Trump administration, Fear, Mattis actually told Trump he would “get right on it” when the president suggested the assassination, but then developed a safer plan that didn’t personally endanger Assad. Trump has clearly not forgotten that reported sleight. In his Fox & Friends interview, he repeatedly laid into Mattis,… Read full this story
- Joe Biden says he is about to get the presidential daily brief and his staff are talking to 'very helpful' Dr. Fauci - day after Donald Trump finally admitted transition has to begin
- Trump finally says he’d concede election to Biden despite ‘massive fraud’ – but won’t say if he’ll attend inauguration
- Trump backtracks and says he ‘concedes NOTHING’ after finally admitting Biden beat him in ‘rigged election’
- Mary Trump trolls Donald after he finally admitted Joe Biden won the election but claimed it was ‘rigged’
- Donald Trump finally okays Biden transition but vows to fight against election results
- 'It was on-again, off-again': 'Dodgy Daryl' Maguire finally admits his secret relationship with Gladys Berejiklian at ICAC - and gives a blunt answer when asked if they are STILL together
- Big business tells Donald Trump to admit defeat: Chamber of Commerce says transition needs to begin NOW 'for the sake of Americans' safety and well-being'
- Emmerdale fans rejoice as Gabby finally admits she lied about Liam coming on to her – leaving Leyla stunned
- 'Do what needs to be done': Donald Trump finally clears way for Joe Biden's transition to White House
- Judge orders Trump administration to stop deporting unaccompanied minors
Trump Finally Admits He Had to Be Stopped From Assassinating Assad After Years of Denying It have 422 words, post on www.thedailybeast.com at September 15, 2020. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.