For the Democrats dead-set on defeating Republican Sen. Susan Collins this November, a recent poll of the Maine U.S. Senate race brought seemingly distressing news: Democratic candidate Sara Gideon was leading Collins by a single point, per the survey, but a Green Party-aligned independent candidate was polling at a surprisingly high 6 percent. Given that Green candidates usually pull votes from the left, Collins’ legions of detractors on Resistance Twitter cried spoiler—fearing that in a tight, hotly contested race, the Green Party’s Lisa Savage would all but secure Collins another six years in the Senate. There is only one state, however, where that straightforward reading of the poll would be backwards—a bad sign for Collins, not a good one—and it happens to be the state she calls home. This fall, Maine is set to be the only state in the country to choose its president and members of Congress using a process called ranked choice voting. Under that system, voters are instructed to list their candidate preferences in order, effectively offering up a first choice, a second choice, and so on. Those backup picks only come into play if no candidate cracks a majority of votes on the first ballot:… Read full this story
- Protests against Pakistan's Imran Khan: Right-wing vs. right-wing
- Likud is Trying to Unify the Whole Right-Wing Block in Order to Win - Foreign Affairs Director
- Pakistan protests: The right-wing challenge to PM Imran Khan
- Are right-wing populists a threat to European climate policy?
- Opinion: Europe needs grassroots democracy to fight right-wing populism
- Opinion: Right-wing populism is EU's elephant in the room
- 'I'm not saying that!' Waleed Aly clashes with Chris Pyne during row over whether the Liberals are a 'freakishly right-wing party'
- Is there a right-wing surge in South America?
- Germany's Angela Merkel vows to fight right-wing extremist terrorism
- German intelligence to boost observation of right-wing extremists
The Right Wing’s New Election Boogeyman have 329 words, post on www.thedailybeast.com at September 15, 2020. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.