The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NoaaA) has predicted an “extremely active” hurricane season in the US in an already record-breaking year for storms. Noaa’s Climate Prediction Center said there could be up to 25 storms which have sustained winds of 39mph or greater. Storms which hit this threshold are named by the agency. In a normal year, there are usually two storms before August which are named. This year, there have already been nine named storms, a record which makes 2020’s hurricane season one of the busiest on record in the US. Gerry Bell, the lead seasonal hurricane forecaster at the Climate Prediction Center, said the combined intensity and duration of all storms during the season is predicted to be much higher than the threshold for an “extremely active” season. “We’ve never forecast up to 25 storms,” Bell said in a press briefing. “So this is the first time.” The previous high was in 2005, when the agency predicted a maximum of 21 named storms. Of the 25 possible named storms, Noaa estimates seven to 11 could become hurricanes, which have winds of at least 74mph. The agency also forecast that three to six storms could become major hurricanes,… Read full this story
- Atlantic storm season goes Greek after forecasters run out of names
- 'The Voice' 2018 Top 4 Finale Performances & Predictions: Who Will Win Season 14?
- Hurricane Eta roars toward Nicaragua as Category 4, 'extremely dangerous' storm
- Britain's housing boom puts £9,400 on average property: Values rose 5% in September... as experts predict price dip in 2021 but 27% rise over next five years
- Nuggets NBA mock draft tracker 2.0: What the national experts predict Denver will do
- Nuggets mock draft tracker: What the national experts predict Denver will do
- How Covid-19 will shape our homes in 2021: Property experts predict demand for all-white kitchens that 'look clean' and outdoor pizza ovens for socially-distant garden gatherings
- Meghan McCain says her father lost with dignity, predicts ‘extreme polar opposite’ if Trump is defeated
- The Umbrella Academy’s most explosive predictions as Netflix announces season 3 is on the way
- How US election pollsters have got it so wrong AGAIN as Trump defeats experts’ predictions… just like in 2016
US hurricane experts predict 'extremely active' storm season have 365 words, post on www.theguardian.com at August 7, 2020. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.