JOHANNESBURG – South Africa on Saturday surpassed 500,000 confirmed COVID-19 cases, representing more than 50% of all reported coronavirus infections in Africa’s 54 countries. Health Minister Zwelini Mkhize announced 10,107 new cases Saturday night, bringing the country’s cumulative total to 503,290, including 8,153 deaths. South Africa, with a population of about 58 million, has the fifth-highest number of cases in the world, behind the U.S., Brazil, Russia and India, all countries with significantly higher populations, according to a tally by Johns Hopkins University. Experts say the true toll of the pandemic worldwide is much higher than confirmed cases, because of limited testing and other reasons. 1 million soon? “Half a million is a significant milestone, because it shows we’ve entered a stage of rapid increases. We may reach 1 million cases very quickly,” said Denis Chopera, a virologist based in Durban. “What we know for sure is that the figures are an underestimate and that this virus will be with us for a long time to come.” South Africa’s Gauteng province — which includes Johannesburg, the country’s largest city, and Pretoria, the capital — is the country’s epicenter with more than 35% of its confirmed cases. Local hospitals have been… Read full this story
- England hammers South Africa team already hit by Rabada ban
- England wins 2nd test vs South Africa to level series
- Nigeria and South Africa emerge from recession
- AK-Armed Gang Attacks on South Africa’s Gold Mines Have Reached Level of ‘Anarchy’, Top Miner Says
- Stokes digs in, England 224-4 in 3rd test vs South Africa
- Unstoppable England on brink of big win over South Africa
- Meet the Afri-Vegans: South Africa Slowly Embracing Veganism
- Quinton de Kock appointed South Africa’s new ODI captain
- England surpass 500,000 Test runs as South Africa stage late fightback
- Highlights, India vs South Africa, 3rd Test, Day 3 at Johannesburg: Play called off due to 'dangerous pitch'
South Africa Hits 500,000 Confirmed COVID Cases, Still Not at Peak have 319 words, post on www.voanews.com at August 1, 2020. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.