Washington (CNN)No one said that being the vice president would be easy. But as Joe Biden’s lieutenant, California Sen. Kamala Harris would be faced with a uniquely challenging balancing act: pioneering the Democratic Party into the future — while navigating the party leadership’s retrograde mores. “If I’m elected president, my Cabinet, my administration will look like the country, and I commit that I will, in fact, pick a woman to be vice president.” When Biden said these words during the CNN-Univision debate in March, many people took notice. Before Biden announced Harris as his running mate on Tuesday, only two women had ever been vice presidential nominees for a major American party: then-Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin in 2008 and New York Rep. Geraldine Ferraro in 1984. Biden’s statement in March, then, evoked what had become something of an inescapable buzzword during the 2020 Democratic race: representation. And indeed, Biden’s right-hand woman would have important representational value. Following a primary season that began with the most diverse slate of candidates in American history but then predictably contracted toward straightness and whiteness and maleness, a Black and South Asian woman as vice president would signal that, at least in some ways, times… Read full this story
- Presidential candidate Kamala Harris touts her gun-safety plan in Seattle, cites Congress’ failure to act
- In its Season 45 premiere, Saturday Night Live plays things too comfy with host Woody Harrelson - The A.V. Club
- EDITORIAL: Democrats hold a pointless show vote on border wall funding
- The Unforgiven: Joe Biden Is Haunted by Bork
- Biden Defines Mediocrity
- Tiffany Haddish rules over a solid
- Whip list: Where senators stand on Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh
- Immigrants and crime: Crunching the numbers
- US 2020 election: Where do top Democrats stand on gun control?
Kamala Harris' balancing act have 308 words, post on edition.cnn.com at August 12, 2020. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.