Do you have a problem with the search function in Windows 10's Start menu or File Explorer? Whether Windows can't find your files, indexing is using too much CPU or search isn't working, Microsoft's Indexer Diagnostics tool can help troubleshoot.
This tool provides insight into the inner workings of the Windows Search indexer service, and it can help you identify problems and fixes. It's similar to the Diagnostic Data Viewer —a power user tool that provides extra information you can't normally see about Windows 10's internals.
To get started, download Microsoft's Indexer Diagnostics tool from the Microsoft Store. Launch it and give it administrator access—it needs those permissions to access and updated the Windows search indexer.
Click between the tabs in the left pane to view information about the indexing service, its status, which files it's indexing, and what it's searching. There are also various troubleshooting tools on this pane. The main pane is "Service Status," which will show you how many items the indexer has in its database, and how many files it's indexed in the last hour, day, and week.
If Windows search isn't working at all, click "Search Is Not Working" in the left pane. Use the "Restart" button to quickly restart the search service to fix problems.
If that doesn't help, click the "Reset" button to reset the state of the indexing service. This will take several minutes. As the interface points out, a reset "will help if the Search Indexer is stuck in a bad state."
If search can't find a file, click "Is my file being indexed?", browse to the file you want Windows to find, and click "Verify."
Windows will tell you whether the file is found in the search index and, if not, will explain why the search indexer is ignoring it so you can address any problems.
Other tools available in Indexer Diagnostics include:
- What is being indexed? – Displays the paths being indexed and any excluded paths that aren't being indexed. You can add and remove included and excluded paths here.
- Search roots – Shows you where Windows will begin searching—for example, in the root of the C:\ directory.
- Content Viewer – View the files the indexer is indexing, and the precise time it indexed them. For example, if the search indexer was using a lot of CPU at a specific time, you can see what files it was indexing at that time and consider excluding them from "What is being indexed?".
- Query Viewer – Monitor what search queries are being sent to the Windows search indexer. You can click "Start Listening," perform searches, and see exactly what's going on in the background.
- Index Item Stats – View how many items are indexed per each app on your system. You can also export details about the index to a CSV file .
- Feedback – This tab lets you collect traces and logs that will monitor the indexer's resource usage and functions. There's a "File Bug" button here that will let you file reports about problems with the indexer with Microsoft.
Many of these functions are only useful for developers working on the search indexer or people sending bug reports to those developers, but it's still great to have such insight into the inner workings of Windows 10.
Microsoft has been addressing resource usage problems with the indexer—look at the fixes made in Windows 10's May 2020 Update —and this tool suggests Microsoft's developers are hard at work optimizing the search feature, reducing resource usage, and fixing bugs.
- How to download a Windows 10 ISO file legally and install Windows 10 from it | Digital Trends
- PC troubleshooting: Where to start if your PC won't turn on | Digital Trends
- Best Way to Run Windows on a Mac
- Even Microsoft is running an unsupported Windows 11 PC | Digital Trends
- How to Download and Run Android Apps on Windows 11 PCs
- 5 helpful Windows shortcuts you didn’t know about | Digital Trends
- 7 Windows shortcuts I use on my gaming PC constantly | Digital Trends
- How to download and install Windows 11: All methods, explained | Digital Trends
- Latest Windows 10 update may reveal Microsoft's biggest problem with Windows 11
- Microsoft issues critical Windows 10 warning! Your PC is at risk if you don't act now
- How to dual boot Linux and Windows | Digital Trends
- Microsoft's internal rollout of Windows 11 took five weeks, a massive 190,000 devices were upgraded worldwide
|How to Play the Djembe Getting Started on Djembe DVD4.3★ / $9.99||How to Surf the Web on Your Mac Computer: a step-by-step guide for using the safari web browser5.0★ / check it now at Amazon||Didgeridoo #1 Selling DVD in the USA on How to Play the Didgeridoo4.5★ / check it now at Amazon||How to Make the Hammered Dulcimer on DVD2.0★ / check it now at Amazon||How to Set the New Touch ID on an iPhone check it now at Amazon||How To Fix The Most Annoying Things On Facebook3.0★ / check it now at Amazon||How to Use the Stitch Length Regulator on a Sewing Machine check it now at Amazon||How to Travel the World on $50 a Day: Third Edition: Travel Cheaper, Longer, Smarter$13.89||Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future$18.49||How to Avoid the Cutting Room Floor: An editor's advice for on-camera actors check it now at Amazon||Zero to One Notes on Start-Ups, or How to Build the Future$10.95||How To Survive a Robot Uprising: Tips on Defending Yourself Against the Coming Rebellion$28||Navigating Your Freshman Year: How to Make the Leap to College Life-and Land on Your Feet (STUDENTS HELPING STUDENTS)$15.73||The Studio Builder's Handbook: How to Improve the Sound of Your Studio on Any Budget, Book & DVD$37.06||Stop Caretaking the Borderline or Narcissist: How to End the Drama and Get On with Life$21.94||The Gift of Adult ADD: How to Transform Your Challenges and Build on Your Strengths$17.44||Kill as Few Patients as Possible: And 56 Other Essays on How to Be the World's Best Doctor4.3★ / $5.44||How to Travel the World on $50 a Day: Travel Cheaper, Longer, Smarter check it now at Amazon||The Pantry Cookbook: How to cook nutritious meals from scratch, on a budget, when time is short.$9.85||The Used Car Buyer's Manual: How to Find the Best Buy on a Used Car$6.43||Kill as Few Patients as Possible: And Fifty-Six Other Essays on How to Be the World's Best Doctor$8.29||I'm Working on It in Therapy: How to Get the Most out of Psychotherapy$14.99||How to Change the World: Reflections on Marx and Marxism$40||Cartoon Cute Animals: How to Draw the Most Irresistible Creatures on the Planet$21.99||France on Foot: Village to Village, Hotel to Hotel: How to Walk the French Trail System on Your Own check it now at Amazon||The Scandal Plan: Or: How to Win the Presidency by Cheating on Your Wife$47.84||Jumping the S-Curve: How to Beat the Growth Cycle, Get on Top, and Stay There$17.05||Failure to File: How to Get the Non-Filer Back on Track$10||Top 10 Burger Recipes: How to Make the Best Gourmet Homemade Burgers (Top 10 Recipe Books)3.0★ / $0.99||How to get the Hay Day game on to your kindle fire HD only. check it now at Amazon|
How to Troubleshoot the Windows Search Indexer on Windows 10 have 1296 words, post on www.howtogeek.com at August 17, 2020. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.