Recommended Video: HIGHLANDS RANCH, Colo. (AP) — Carroll Hardy, a multi-sport star best known as the only man ever to pinch hit for Ted Williams, died Sunday at age 87. Hardy was also known as the football executive who helped assemble the “Orange Crush” defense in Denver during the 1970s. The University of Colorado, where Hardy was a three-sport star, said he died of complications from dementia. He is survived by his wife and three children. Hardy went on to play professional baseball and football after starring in track, baseball and football at Colorado from 1951-55. CU athletic director Rick George called Hardy “a true icon of the state. His list of accomplishments in his lifetime and the people he touched are really second to none. We have lost a great Buffalo.” Hardy earned a record 10 letters altogether in the early 1950s. An All-American honorable mention in 1953 and ’54, Hardy rushed for 1,999 career yards with a whopping 6.87-yard average per carry, which remains the best in school history among players with at least 60 carries. Hardy led the nation in kickoff return average in 1952 and had six interceptions for the Buffaloes. On the diamond, Hardy was… Read full this story
- Mike Pence to champion law-and-order message at RNC as sports stars protest police brutality
- ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’ star Chi Chi DeVayne dies at 34
- WWE 'SmackDown' Results: Jeff Hardy and Sheamus Have a Bar Fight Tonight
- Jeff Hardy becomes champion on Smackdown; Summerslam card updated
- Bella Hadid reveals a hint of her toned abs in logo-themed crop top teamed with 90s bright orange padded jacket during Men's Paris Fashion Week
- Lights out in Melbourne: lack of footy in Australia's capital of sport amplifies city's sullen silence
- Hugh McIlvanney, doyen of sportswriting, dies aged 84
- Serge Gnabry: Arsenal and West Brom flop to Bayern Munich's Champions League star
- Mike Forshaw: Sale Sharks coach and former rugby league star on the art of defence
- George Floyd death: KL Rahul opens up on racism, says 'sports are not governed by colour'
Hardy, two-sport star, architect of Orange Crush dies at 87 have 347 words, post on www.sfgate.com at August 10, 2020. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.