New York (CNN Business)A group of Democratic women leaders is calling out sexist coverage of female Democratic vice presidential contenders — and they’re asking that newsrooms to do better. In an open letter to top newspaper and network executives, the group said newsrooms should not merely pay attention to problematic stereotypes of women being considered for the position, but “to actively work to be anti-racist and anti-sexist in your coverage.” The letter was signed by roughly a dozen women, including leaders at the National Women’s Law Center, Planned Parenthood, TimesUp, Supermajority and more. Presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden has said he will soon select his running mate, and people close to the process told CNN he is believed to have narrowed his personal shortlist to a handful of women. California Representative and Congressional Black Caucus Chair Karen Bass, California Senator Kamala Harris and Susan Rice, Barack Obama’s former national security adviser, are believed to be among the most serious contenders. In the run-up to the selection, discussion and coverage of the women candidates have included sexist tropes, such as criticism of candidates’ ambition and questions of electability. Read More “We’ve seen so many disappointing things,” Hilary Rosen, a Democratic… Read full this story
- Biden campaign announces vice presidential selection committee
- The Top 10 women Joe Biden might pick as vice president, ranked
- Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden says sexual assault 'never happened'
- Editorial: Joe Biden needs competence — not sizzle — from his vice presidential running mate
- Biden says vice presidential committee 'looking at more than a dozen women'
- Biden picks ex-senator accused of violent sex assault on waitress to help him find a female vice president
- 2019: Youths in 9 states to vote presidential candidate ready for restructuring
- Women Leaders Are a Symptom of Success
- Fox News Will Now Give All GOP Presidential Candidates a Chance to Say Hi to America
- CNN, NBC News Networks Praise China in Fake News Coverage, Trump Says
Democratic women leaders call out sexist news coverage of female vice presidential candidates have 336 words, post on edition.cnn.com at August 10, 2020. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.