FILE (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File) Good morning and welcome to Fox News First. Here’s what you need to know as you start your day … Washington to get rid of ‘Redskins’ name Monday: reports USA Today, ESPN, The Washington Post, Washington Times and Sports Business Journal reported Sunday night that owner Dan Snyder is set to “retire” the name. Washington won’t announce its new name because trademark issues are still pending. However, the “thorough review” of the name is officially over because the team wanted to “remove any doubts as to the future of the name,” Sports Business Journal, citing sources. It’s unclear when a new name will be revealed for the team. Video The team launched the review of the name July 3 after prominent sponsors FedEx, Nike, PepsiCo and Bank of America asked the team to change the name. The sponsors’ concern grew after weeks of national protests following George Floyd’s death in Minneapolis police custody on May 25. However, the controversy and calls for the Washington team to change its name have persisted for years. Big-name retailers such as Amazon, Walmart and Target, as well as Nike and Dick’s Sporting Goods, all removed Redskins merchandise from their… Read full this story
- Redskins reportedly seek sports betting license in both Maryland and Virginia as they pursue new stadium
- LIVESTOCK-Cattle futures sag on expectations U.S. report will show bigger supply
- Jessica Simpson expecting second child, reportedly taking break from Weight Watchers
- Wisconsinite becomes America's 12th coronavirus victim: Latest patient had recently been to Beijing as CDC says US must 'expect more cases'
- 3 teen girls face multiple charges in Washington road trip
- Jennifer King named as full-year coaching intern with the Washington Redskins
- Thursday Night Football 2019 Schedule: Where to Watch Washington Redskins vs. Minnesota Vikings, TV Channel, Live Stream, Odds
- Berkeley Study Claims ‘Redskins’ Name More Offensive Than Previously Thought
- Redskins' Derrius Guice wants to silence those labeling him as 'soft', admits 'it's frustrating'
- Greg Olsen free agency: Pro Bowl tight end to meet with Seahawks, Bills and Redskins, per report
Washington expected to get rid of 'Redskins' name: reports have 357 words, post on www.foxnews.com at July 13, 2020. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.