From Chalkbeat Chicago: By Kalyn Belsha, Chalkbeat Chicago The nation’s second-largest teachers union says it will support strikes over teacher safety as heated discussions continue about whether and how to reopen schools for in-person instruction this fall. It’s a symbolic move, and many teachers unions lack the legal ability to strike in a traditional way. But it’s the clearest signal yet that the unions will be a major force in school reopening decisions and are readying to block proposals they feel don’t go far enough to protect educators — which could further politicize the national debate over school reopening. “If the authorities don’t get it right, and they don’t protect the safety and health of those we represent and those we serve, nothing is off the table — not advocacy or protests, negotiations, grievances or lawsuits, or, if necessary as a last resort, safety strikes,” said Randi Weingarten, the head of the American Federation of Teachers, at the union’s biennial convention on Tuesday. A resolution, passed by the AFT’s executive council, says the union would back local or state-led teachers strikes over educator health and safety during the pandemic “on a case-by-case basis” and “as a last resort.” It’s an… Read full this story
- Teachers union backs strike if schools can't reopen safely
- Teacher’s Union Supports Strikes If Schools Reopen Without Safety Measures
- Coronavirus: Teachers' union urges clarity on school reopening
- Teaching unions try to 'sabotage' school reopening plan with 'impossible list' of 200 safety demands and insisting classes be held 'one week on, one week off'
- Teachers Unions Warn Of Strikes If Schools Reopen Unsafely
- Teachers, unions: 'safety strike' is pandemic option
- POLL: 20% Of Teachers ‘Unlikely’ To Return If Schools Reopen In The Fall
- Some Iowa teachers wrote their own obituaries because they're scared of their governor's school reopening plan
- Boris Johnson takes aim at unions amid bid to 'sabotage' reopening schools next month as he tells teachers they have a 'moral duty' to help get children back in the classroom
Influential National Teachers Union Backs Strikes As Tool In School Reopening Fight have 351 words, post on patch.com at July 31, 2020. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.