(CNN)Through sport we learn about glory and defeat, the sacrifices made to be the best, the intoxicating joy of victory, and the pain of the near-misses. But sport can be much more than that; it can shine a light on injustice, it can educate; it can change minds. Over half a century after John Carlos and Tommie Smith raised their gloved fists as they stood on the podium at the 1968 Olympic Games in Mexico, West Indies cricketers walked out into the heart of Southampton’s Ageas Bowl for the opening day of the first Test match against England wearing one black glove each. Both teams took the knee before the start of play. The West Indies players raised their fists too. Lewis Hamilton, Formula One’s voice and conscience The sight of players, coaching staff, umpires and officials taking a knee was visually powerful, a continuation of athletes across the world drawing attention to, and supporting, Black Lives Matter since the brutal death of George Floyd, an unarmed black man killed in police custody in Minneapolis on May 25. However, the day will mainly be remembered for what happened away from the field, for a four-minute live monologue by Michael Holding,… Read full this story
- Lena Dunham cuts a glamorous figure in a dramatic gold and black gown as she makes her catwalk debut for the 16Arlington show during LFW
- Is the traditional home-style food being compromised amidst global culinary experiments?
- The best smart bulbs for 2020
- Artist installs 1,000 lights across Ireland's Connemara mountains to transform the landmark into a sea of colour ahead of St Patrick's Day
- Neil deGrasse Tyson Breaks Down ‘Interstellar’: Black Holes, Time Dilations, and Massive Waves
- Millions of millennials can't hang a picture or change a LIGHT BULB and would rather turn to Google for help, survey finds
- Missing lights leave Chandigarh parks fraught with danger
- GE Lighting wants its smart light bulbs to help you improve your shut-eye
- Half-Life Fan Remake Black Mesa Is Finally Complete--Full Patch Notes Included
- Students attack, kill security guard in row over light bulbs
Handcuffs to light bulbs shine light on painful Black experience have 357 words, post on edition.cnn.com at July 11, 2020. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.