From Injustice Watch: By Lakeidra Chavis (The Trace) This story was originally published in a partnership between The Trace and the Chicago Sun-Times. Malik Webber loved to eat. Chicken. Chitlins. Spaghetti. Dressing. He was social, with lots of friends, always a smile on his face. These are the things Angie Graves remembers most about him. Graves, 48, knew Webber since he was a kid. He lived a few houses down from her on a North Lawndale block where everybody knows everybody, and kids line up to buy snow cones. Webber died by suicide in March. He was 21. “You still ask yourself why,” said Graves, who took in Webber when he was a teenager and calls him her son. She says he didn’t leave a note and doesn’t know why he killed himself, but that Webber had dealt with a lot of grief following the deaths of several family members and friends growing up. “He struggled,” she said. “He probably was struggling for a long time.” Midway through 2020, Cook County is seeing an alarming rise in the number of suicides among Black residents. The number of deaths has already matched the total for all of last year, putting 2020… Read full this story
- Rising suicide cases: Psychiatrists brainstorm, proffer solutions (2)
- Cook County Sergeant Had Medical Emergency Before Crash: Coroner
- Off-Duty Cook County Sergeant Killed In Elgin Crash: Police
- Letter From Forest Preserves Of Cook County Regarding A Deer Management Program
- Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx Let Convicted Killer Off Hook
- NHS figures show 'shocking' rise in self-harm among young
- Protests in national capital hit a new high in 2019, Delhi police’s data shows
- France is addressing black people’s invisibility in art. When will the UK?
- My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding twins showed inseparable bond on show before 'joint suicide'
- Buttigieg Rebukes Man at Campaign Event for Insisting He Tell Black People to 'Stop Committing Crime and Doing Drugs'
Data Shows A Steep Rise In Suicide Among Black People In Cook County have 333 words, post on patch.com at July 31, 2020. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.