FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CHICAGO, IL, Wednesday, July 22, 2020 –gave 30 mosques in Chicago a $1000 grant each to to come up with a service project that benefits their community. All applicants had to register by the June 30th deadline in order to participate. The 4-week, social-justice-themed Challenge requires each participating mosque to send in regular, timely photographs and videos highlighting the progress on their service project leading to a final video and a public voting day. Winners, including one grand prize winner, will be announced in August after the second religious holiday for Muslims, Eid ul Adha.Board Director, Sabina Qadir, who proposed this Challenge after seeing the Chicago Muslim community in action during Covid19 says, “The Muslim community has always been about service. [This] challenge is an opportunity for the Muslim community to focus on hope and action. The pandemic and the senseless killing of black men and women has highlighted the racial and economic injustices in our nation and this challenge is a way for the Muslims of Illinois to come together and empower our communities to address the issues at hand.” Inner city mosques like Masjid al Farooq and Masjid al Taqwa are also eager to participate…. Read full this story
- Volunteer-organizing app launches in Regina
- Litvinenko inquest: newspapers launch challenge over withholding of evidence
- Trump’s Syria Envoy Says Turkey Move Hinders Islamic State Fight
- Elizabeth Warren to Join Chicago Teachers as Strike Continues
- Westminster should hand over tax-raising powers to councils. We would all benefit
- Read Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot's Full Budget Address
- Progressive Chicago Mayor Angers Democratic Force: Teachers
- Venezuela Returns to Human Rights Council Month After U.N. Condemned Maduro
- Trump says the Islamic State’s leader is dead. What will the group do next?
- Islamic State still poses threat after death of Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi
Council of Islamic Organizations of Chicago Launches Challenge have 312 words, post on patch.com at July 22, 2020. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.