The A’s named their starters for the two exhibition games against the Giants next week — and the decisions made it apparent that right-hander Frankie Montas is likely to get the start on Opening Night against the Angels. Manager Bob Melvin said that lefty Sean Manaea will start Monday’s 6:40 p.m. game at the Coliseum, with right-handers Mike Fiers and Chris Bassitt working in the second game Tuesday at Oracle Park “as we sit here right now,” Melvin said. “Things could change leading up.” Though all rotation decisions are flexible, especially during this uncharted attempt to open a season during a pandemic, lefty A.J. Puk is less likely to get the call to pitch July 24 than is Montas, who came into the Oakland training camp looking as if he is in midseason form; Melvin called him “borderline electric” after his three scoreless innings in a simulated game Monday. Montas was seemingly on his way to being an All-Star last season, opening 9-2 with a 2.70 ERA until he was suspended June 21 for testing positive for a banned substance. Puk, who also appeared in that simulated game Monday, might be in line to start July 25, followed by Manaea,… Read full this story
- F1: Bottas wins season-opener in Austria after breathless finish
- Austria set to open Formula One season with two races in July after government approval
- Yankees vs. Nationals in D.C. set for opening day
- Which circuits hosted Formula 1's season opener?
- Formula One set to resume after season openers receive government’s go-ahead: report
- Pro Motocross Championship delays season opener until at least August
- Pandemic-related restrictions force Western Michigan to schedule a new season-opening opponent
- IndyCar: Scott Dixon wins season opener at Texas Motor Speedway
- Valtteri Bottas wins chaotic season-opening F1 Austrian Grand Prix
- Report: West Virginia QB Will Grier to be eligible for 2017 season opener
A’s name exhibition starters; Frankie Montas looks set to go in season opener have 320 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at July 16, 2020. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.