The coronavirus pandemic stole from President Donald Trump his most prized political possession: a booming U.S. economy. Now racial unrest in Minnesota threatens to steal his second-most-prized one: an image of power and stability that he can project to supporters and adversaries alike. Hours into a spate of destruction and arrests in Minneapolis after the police killing of an unarmed black man, Trump was already threatening to send in the National Guard and warning that “looters” in the city would be shot—employing a phrase popularized by a former Miami police chief famous for “tough-on-crime” policies that targeted citizens of color. Trump walked back the latter statement a few hours later, saying he only meant that looters could end up shooting people, not that they should be shot. “I’ve heard that phrase for a long time. I don’t know where it came from or where it originated,” he declared later. “I wouldn’t know a thing like that.” But his immediate jump to a forceful and potentially deadly resolution to the unrest underscored what knowledgeable sources said is deep distress at events that, in Trump’s view, make him appear weak. He told reporters at the White House on Friday that he didn’t… Read full this story
- The new Universal Credit scheme will leave misery, fear, and chaos in its wake
- Online shopping is making people WEAK and prone to back pain, experts warn
- The power of PowerPoint and how it makes us weak
- 14 everyday tasks American infomercials make look hilariously hard
- Trump boasts of his' extraordinary success' in State of the Union speech
- Donald Trump: Legislators too fearful of NRA to take action on guns
- What are the unintended consequences of Trump's 'fake news' war?
- Trump 'looking forward' to being questioned under oath in Russia probe
- Trump willing to sign a revamped Paris climate deal
- As gun debate rages, Trump changes the subject
Trump Fears The Minnesota Chaos Makes Him Look Weak have 331 words, post on www.thedailybeast.com at May 30, 2020. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.