Press release from the University of California, Berkeley: By Kara Manke | May 22, 2020 For young coho salmon, summer is not all fun in the sun: Extended heat and drought can sometimes dry up the small freshwater streams where the endangered fish spend the first year of their lives, leaving them trapped in small pools with limited food and oxygen. As climate change threatens to bring hotter and drier summers to California, a new study by researchers at UC Berkeley and the California Sea Grant provides conservationists and resource managers with valuable insights on how to continue to protect and restore California’s dwindling coho salmon population. The research team tracked nearly 20,000 tagged fish in the Russian River watershed over a seven-year period from 2011 to 2017, spanning a time of major drought in California. This watershed is home to a highly endangered population of coho salmon, which nearly collapsed in the early 2000’s, but has been recovering since then through a conservation hatchery program and other efforts. “We were able to measure survival during this historic drought, which will help us understand how future droughts will impact this population of salmon,” says University of Wisconsin-La Crosse Assistant Professor… Read full this story
- Poland expects solar energy to help meet demand in summer heat
- Coronavirus could worsen death toll of summer heat waves, health officials warn
- Summer Heat And Humidity May Help Kill The Coronavirus — But Won’t End The Pandemic
- 10 Tips To Stay Healthy In Summer
- 10 Foods You Should Eat In Summer
- These superfoods for summer will give you the much needed chill!
- Russian couple hosts compatriots stranded in Vietnam due to COVID-19
- 10 must try, refreshing summer coolers to beat the heat this season
- Covid warriors battle dehydration and heat while screening residents in Chandigarh’s containment zones
- How to keep your house cool during summers – Here are some tricks and tips
How Some Young Coho Salmon In Russian River Are Protected From Summer Heat have 324 words, post on patch.com at May 22, 2020. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.