TORONTO — The U.S. and Canada have agreed to temporarily close their shared border to nonessential travel, President Donald Trump announced Wednesday as the two nations work to stem the spread of the coronavirus pandemic. Both countries are eager to choke off the spread of the virus but also maintain their vital economic relationship. Canada relies on the U.S. for 75% of its exports. Trump made the announcement on Twitter, saying the decision would not affect the flow of trade between the countries. “We will be, by mutual consent, temporarily closing our Northern Border with Canada to non-essential traffic,” Trump tweeted.Truck drivers and Canadian snowbirds, who live in the U.S. for part of the year and are returning to Canada, are among those expected to get an exemption. Completely closing the border would cause severe economic damage to both the U.S. and Canada as the two economies are integrated. Much of Canada’s food supply comes from or via the U.S., and and 98% of its oil exports go to the U.S. About 18% of American exports go to Canada. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Monday he would close the country’s borders to anyone not a citizen, an American or… Read full this story
- Beto O'Rourke to join El Paso rally opposing Donald Trump appearance at border
- Colombia closes borders as it braces for nationwide strike
- Iraq Reportedly Urges Turkey, Iran to Close Borders With Iraqi Kurdistan
- Fox News Host Appears Skeptical of Trump's Claim Border Wall is 'Electrified': 'You Electrified The Wall?'
- Closing Border With Iraq Will 'Damage Interests' of Iran and Turkey
- Why Republicans Need to Be More Than ‘Concerned’ Over Trump’s New Border Strategy
- California Floats Threat Of Suing Trump For Protecting Border With Force
- Iraqi Kurdistan Not Considering Closing Border With Syria Over Refugees - Envoy to US
- Trump Supporters At Binghamton University Travel In ‘Packs’ For Safety After Being Mobbed By Leftists
- Trump approaches 100-day milestone, but what progress has he made on his agenda?
Trump: U.S., Canada to close border to nonessential travel due to coronavirus have 348 words, post on www.denverpost.com at March 18, 2020. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.