LIMA, Peru (AP) — The coronavirus pandemic has provided a silver lining for a former Peruvian president who has been in U.S. custody while he fights extradition back home to face trial on corruption charges. A U.S. judge ruled Thursday that Alejandro Toledo should be released on $1 million bail because the pandemic has reduced his flight risk. “The court’s concern was that Toledo would flee the country,” Magistrate Judge Thomas S. Hixson wrote in his decision. “But international travel is hard now.” The judge had previously denied Toledo bail after prosecutors pointed out that officials found a suitcase with $40,000 in cash when he was arrested. But noting that Toledo is 74, Hixson agreed the virus could present a risk of serious illness or death. “The risk that this vulnerable person will contract COVID-19 while in jail is a special circumstance that warrants bail,” Hixson ruled. For most people, the virus causes only mild or moderate symptoms, like a fever and cough. But it can cause more severe illness for some, especially older adults and those with existing health problems. The judge added that a treaty requires U.S. authorities to “deliver him to Peru alive.” “Maybe the risk of… Read full this story
- Ex-Republican Leader Quits GOP Over Trump: Party Traded Ronald Reagan for President Who 'Surrendered to Putin'
- Witness kept secret from Robert Durst as ‘possible danger’ cited by judge before hearing
- 'Captain America' actor Chris Evans rips ex-KKK leader in Twitter war over Jeff Sessions confirmation
- Ex-Peru president wanted in bribery probe shrugs off arrest warrant as 'Machiavellian distortion of politics'
- New Mexico compound judge has history of issuing low bail to violent offenders
- Judge rejects indicted ex-FIFA official’s request for later curfew
- Man arrested in robbery of ex-Knick has bail bid blocked in Brooklyn court
- Judge agrees to release Pulse shooter's wife Noor Salman on bail
- Peru leader renews vow to boost economy after year of setbacks
- Prosecutors urge judge to withdraw Martin Shkreli’s bail over Hillary Clinton Facebook post
Citing pandemic, judge agrees to free ex-Peru leader on bail have 347 words, post on apnews.com at March 20, 2020. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.