Rarely has a game had more plots and subplots and subplots to those subplots than the 49ers’ 30-27 victory over the Packers in an NFC wild-card matchup at Candlestick Park on Jan. 3, 1999. • First, Green Bay had beaten the 49ers in each of the previous three postseasons. Throw in two regular-season Green Bay wins, and San Francisco had lost five straight games to the Packers. “It was personal. … It just hurt,” former 49ers quarterback Steve Young said in a phone interview Wednesday. • It was personal because of so much cross-pollination between the Packers and 49ers. For example, San Francisco head coach Steve Mariucci had grown up as a Green Bay fan and had spent four seasons (1992-95) as the quarterbacks coach on Mike Holmgren’s staff with the Packers. Holmgren grew up in San Francisco and had been a quarterbacks coach for Young when the lefty played at BYU and with the 49ers. Holmgren had worked under Bill Walsh and George Seifert with the Niners. “Mike Holmgren left and re-created the 49ers,” Young said. “So every time we played (the Packers), it was like playing yourself. … “You know it was personal for me, (but) what about… Read full this story
- Packers legend, Pro Football Hall of Fame safety Willie Wood dies at age 83
- 49ers defense is unable to hold a 10-point lead in fourth quarter against the Chiefs
- Super Bowl LIV: Kansas City Chiefs charge back to beat San Francisco 49ers 31-20 to secure their first championship in 50 YEARS as QB Patrick Mahomes earns MVP honors by throwing two late touchdown passes following a pair of costly interceptions
- 49ers’ Richard Sherman on Super Bowl loss: ‘I wasn’t good enough tonight’
- 49ers’ Super Bowl review: For three quarters, it was theirs to win
- From France, with love: 49ers fan abroad translates the game on Twitter
- Report: Another 49ers defensive assistant bolting for the Browns
- 49ers’ tight end Garrett Celek retires after eight seasons
- Hall of Famer Steve Young: 49ers' Kyle Shanahan made one decision in Super Bowl LIV that didn't 'make sense'
- 49ers’ teammates want Sanders - a pending free agent - back next season
Steve Young, Steve Mariucci reflect on 49ers beating Packers on The Catch II have 370 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at January 19, 2020. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.