Latinos are likely to be the largest racial or ethnic group eligible to vote in the 2020 presidential election. It will be the first time that’s happened in U.S. history. But former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julián Castro, the only Latino in the race, is a long shot to qualify for the Dec. 19 Democratic debate in Los Angeles, let alone to win the nomination. It is a sign of a growing problem for Democrats. With Sen. Kamala Harris having ended her campaign this week, the party’s next debate could feature an all-white cast of candidates, including three over age 70 and a fourth, Tom Steyer, who is one of the richest people in the country. “There are more billionaires than Black people who’ve made the December debate stage—that’s a problem,” tweeted New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker, the only African American left in the race. Booker has not yet hit the polling and fundraising numbers he needs to make the debate. Neither has Castro. Castro said the issue with an all-white debate lineup is that nearly half of Democrats aren’t white. The party’s communities of color demonstrated their clout when they helped elect Barack Obama twice. “It is deflating,”… Read full this story
- Uses 'Fajita' in Headline About Julian Castro
- The Story Of Marita Lorenz, the CIA Agent Who Was Sent To Kill Castro But Slept With Him Instead
- Elizabeth Warren Picked to Speak for Prime Time Slot at Democratic Convention
- Julian Assange Says Chelsea Manning Was Granted Clemency to Make Assange Look Like a Liar
- Wikileaks is 'very happy' about fake news: Julian Assange
- Social media roars for WikiLeaks' Julian Assange
- If The Trump White House Wasn't Compromised By Russia Before, It Is Now
- Almost 70 Democratic Lawmakers Are Now Ditching the Inauguration [Updating]
- WikiLeaks: Julian Assange's internet access 'severed'
- The Internet's Best Conspiracy Theories About Julian Assange’s Meltdown [Update]
Julián Castro warns all-white Democratic lineup will be ‘deflating’ have 330 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at December 6, 2019. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.