WACO, Texas (AP) — During his 26 years in prison, Richard Bryan Kussmaul heard scraps of news from the world he left behind: the death of his brother from cancer, followed by the deaths of his parents and the incarceration of his son. Meanwhile, he sewed prison clothes and found a faith that would sustain him through the battle of his life: proving he was wrongfully convicted of sexual assault and double murder. When he was released on bond this spring after winning a new trial based on DNA evidence, he walked into an unfamiliar world of smartphones and new fast-food joints, owning nothing more than a shirt and a pair of pants. Now he has found a job, moved in with his disabled sister in Moody and rekindled his relationship with his son’s mother. But his battle continues as he tries to remove the last lingering doubts about his innocence, the Waco Tribune-Herald reported. The McLennan County District Attorney’s Office dismissed the capital murder charge against Kussmaul in October in the 1992 shooting deaths of Leslie Murphy, 17, and her traveling companion, Stephen Neighbors, 14. Prosecutors said the age of the case and the compelling DNA evidence made a… Read full this story
- Man arrested in Nassau Bay police sergeant’s death, now faces capital murder charge
- Bretz: Murder Defendant Zabala Indigent, Needs Expert Fees
- PICTURED: Man, 20, arrested over the murder of Israeli student Aiia Maasarwe, 21, after she was 'raped, burned' and killed on her way home from a night out in Melbourne
- Army Major, Corporate Goons Charged in Murder of Berta Cáceres in Honduras
- Death row inmate, 49, whose quadruple murder convictions were overturned four times and ended in a mistrial twice is freed on bond after 22 years as prosecutor who barred black jurors considers a SEVENTH trial
- Larry Swearingen execution: Death row inmate who raped and murdered teen is killed
- Death row inmate dies just months before execution date for double murder
- Mistrial Declared in Trinity University Cheerleader’s Murder Case
- Murder! Who don nit?
- Campaign seeks justice for 7 ‘innocent’ convicts serving life term
Capital murder defendant wants declaration of innocence have 356 words, post on www.chron.com at December 8, 2019. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.