SACRAMENTO (CBS13) – High schools in California will need to push the first bell back to 8:30 a.m. starting in the 2022-2023 school year so teenagers can get more sleep. Governor Gavin Newsom signed Senate Bill 328 on Sunday, requiring high schools to start no earlier than 8:30 a.m. and middle schools to start no earlier than 8 am. Rural counties will be exempt from specified start times. Currently, more than three-quarters of middle and high schools in California start before 8:30 am. Before 7:30 a.m., 3.5% of schools 7:30 to 7:59 a.m., 27.7% of schools 8:00 to 8:29 a.m., 47.6% of schools 8:30 a.m. or later, 21.2% of schools Questions were raised about the cost. Bill Analysis showed tens of millions of dollars statewide would need to come from the Proposition 98 General Fund. That money will go to districts to make changes to school transportation routes, and hire additional bus drivers. School districts will need an additional amount, projected in the low millions, to add staff both before and after school. Districts will also need hundreds of thousands of dollars for “additional workload associated with collectively bargaining work hours.” Opponents also pointed out a later start time will… Read full this story
- Top 50 high school quarterbacks of all time
- Blind Alabama high school football player starting at center
- California, Florida high schools produced the most MLB postseason participants
- College Graduates Outnumber High-School Leavers for 1st Time
- Watch: Texas high school sprinter breaks all-time 100-meter mark with wind-aided 9.98
- ‘He’s A Tough Cookie’: Meet DeLaSalle High School’s Jalen Travis
- Talent-Filled Football Team Determined To Bring Northeast High School First State Championship
- Long Island High School Coach Suspended — For Scoring Too Many Points?
- High School Football Programs Look To Test Video Replay In New Jersey
- No End In Sight For Andover Schools Start Times Process
Governor Newsom Agrees California Middle And High Schools Need Later Start Times have 308 words, post on sacramento.cbslocal.com at October 14, 2019. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.