opinion Michael Saltsman Published 11:00 PM EDT Oct 9, 2019 Have Michigan restaurants hit a tipping point on the practice of tipping? Detroit restaurant Magnet opened late last month with a novel “no tipping” policy, where menu prices are higher and staff receive a salary instead of tip income. The following week, Birmingham Italian restaurant La Strada announced it would implement a similar policy. State Sen. Mallory McMorrow, D-Royal Oak, praised both restaurants, writing on her Facebook page that she favored a no-tipping model to the status quo; state Rep. Mari Manoogian, D-Birmingham, called the move “good news.” But another group has been less enthusiastic about the no tipping trend: Restaurant servers and bartenders. Restaurant industry consultancy Upserve asked several hundred full-service restaurant workers about their preferred method of compensation. Nearly all (97%) preferred the current system of earning compensation through tips instead of a flat hourly wage. Earlier this year, a follow-up survey asked if servers would keep the tip system even if offered a “substantial” increase in hourly pay. Just one percent said they’d take the deal, and 70% said they definitely would not. The reason is simple: Servers understand they can earn more working part-time under the current… Read full this story
- Michigan Doctor Shows A Safe Way To Unload Groceries During COVID-19
- 'If you've no room for sheep, get yourself some hens.' And other useful virus tips
- In Bolsonaro’s burning Brazilian Amazon, all our futures are being consumed
- Opinion: I just hugged my daughter for the first time in 18 days. Is this our new normal?
- Of course Ed Miliband doesn't know his grocery bill: who on a decent income does?
- The Guardian view on biotechnologies: rewriting our future
- The future looks bleak for the restoration of William Blake’s cottage
- What does Nick Loeb's embryo revelation achieve, except to shame Sofía Vergara?
- Opinion | Researchers in India must join the fight against COVID-19
- Opinion: Why the anti-Trump coronavirus letters? Because that’s what readers are writing
Opinion: Does 'no tipping' have future in Michigan? have 344 words, post on eu.detroitnews.com at September 17, 2019. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.