MINNEAPOLIS — Minnesota Vikings fans got an extended look at the stars of their team in a 25-19 preseason victory over the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday, Aug. 18.
Quarterback Kirk Cousins and the first-team offense played the duration of the first quarter. Cousins completed six of his eight passes for 68 yards, including a deep 34-yard completion to Adam Thielen.
A botched snap from rookie center Garrett Bradbury stalled out the opening drive, but the deep pass to Thielen — paired with a 45-yard defensive pass interference call the next play — set up a Dan Bailey field goal.
Alexander Mattison got his second start of the preseason in place of Dalvin Cook. The rookie from Boise State rushed for 41 yards and added a catch for 4 more. He also was the beneficiary of good timing, as he had a fumble in the red zone nullified as the referees whistled the play dead.
Backup quarterback Sean Mannion bounced back from throwing a pick-six by leading the second unit down the field on a 63-yard drive, capped off with a touchdown pass to tight end Irv Smith.
Receiver Brandon Zylstra caught a touchdown pass from Kyle Sloter, and fullback Khari Blasingame also punched in a 1-yard score for Minnesota.
The defensive starters and top reserves held the Seahawks offense out of the end zone, forcing two three-and-outs while allowing only a field goal on four drives. The defense played without starting tackles Linval Joseph and Shamar Stephen.
- Coupon queen Holly Smith reveals her top tips for finding the best bargains — play now to win £15,000 on the Sun Savers Raffle
- Friday's prep football roundup: Palmer Ridge, Pine Creek open conference play with big wins
- Gas through to Checkatrade quarters with win over Northampton Town
- Trio involved in Great Yarmouth promenade brawl after England World Cup quarter-final win
- Man City v Chelsea tactical preview: How City keep scoring tap-ins and why Chelsea must play dirty to win
- Doncaster Rovers: McCann hails ability to win without playing well after win over Scunthorpe United
- Get ready Malta: Play online to win the €120m EuroMillions Superdraw Jackpot
- Town Reserves all set for Devon Senior Cup quarter-final tie at Kentisbeare
- Pistons rally to beat Cavaliers in preseason game
- Arkush: Don't expect Vikings to go quietly