FOXBORO — Patriots wide receiver Josh Gordon was in full pads for Sunday afternoon’s practice, an indication that he’ll be removed from the non-football injury list.
Gordon, who was conditionally reinstated by the NFL on Aug. 16, should be good to go for the regular season.
The Patriots open the season two weeks from today with a Sept. 8 primetime home game versus the Steelers.
Gordon joins Julian Edelman and Demaryius Thomas as receivers who have been added to the active roster within the past week. After Tom Brady spent the week in Nashville throwing to a three-receiver set of Braxton Berrios, Dontrelle Inman, and Gunner Olszewski, the Patriots find themselves suddenly loaded with prominent wideouts.
Edelman is a known commodity in the New England offense. Thomas’ contribution remains to be seen. Gordon was excellent a year ago, posting 720 yards on 18 yards per catch in 11 games before being suspended in Week 16. He should be able to catch up quickly.
In addition to Gordon, Patriots safety Patrick Chung returned to practice following a two-day absence. Chung is scheduled to be arraigned for a possession of cocaine charge on Wednesday in New Hampshire.
A host of Patriots were missing from Sunday’s practice. Running back Damien Harris, center David Andrews, tight end Ben Watson, tight end Lance Kendricks, defensive end Keionta Davis, defensive end Derek Rivers, defensive end Shilique Calhoun, outside linebacker Trent Harris, and wide receiver Maurice Harris were not spotted.
Linebacker Brandon King, a special teams star, is expected to miss the entire season after reportedly suffering a torn quadriceps in the Patriots’ third preseason game.
- Josh Gordon Says Patriots 'Beat the Sh*t Outta the Bears'
- Not Even A Dislocated Finger Can Slow Down Josh Gordon
- Patriots WR Josh Gordon facing indefinite suspension
- Patriots Reportedly ‘Close’ On Trade For Josh Gordon
- Josh Gordon 'Stepping Away' from Patriots, Reportedly Fails Drug Test
- Report: Josh Gordon Facing Discipline From Patriots
- Patriots Are Reportedly Paying For Josh Gordon’s Treatment
- In Their Plans? Patriots Reportedly Tender Suspended Receiver Josh Gordon
- Robert Kraft Says Josh Gordon's Addiction Demons 'Makes Us Sad'
- Bill Belichick Hopes Josh Gordon Handles His Issues, 'Unfortunate Situation'