Delaware Online digital desk
Published 4:30 PM EDT Aug 16, 2019
It’s been a busy week, with a shooting in Philadelphia, debates over dogs in restaurants, and investigations. Here are some of our top stories from the week.
Philadelphia officials call for more gun control after shooting
Gun violence took a victim Wednesday in the streets of Philadelphia, but only the mass shooting made national news. The other was deemed just another occurrence in the City of Brotherly Love, the mayor said.
Read the story: Inside the Philly cop shootings
Read the story: Police shot in Philadelphia: Officials give updates, call for gun control after ‘absolutely unnerving’ scene
- Philadelphia police shooting: Radio traffic gives inside picture of standoff scene
- Reminders of standoff and officers’ shooting linger on Thursday
When City Council rejected grants, its president gave them out herself
A week after her colleagues voted to deny granting $5,000 each to 16 Wilmington organizations, City Council President Hanifa Shabazz gave out nearly the same amount of funds anyway.
Read the story: After Wilmington council rejected $5,000 grants, Shabazz gave out $4,900 instead
Planting oysters: Delaware’s new farmland is underwater
Delaware’s oyster industry, under pressure from disease and overfishing, collapsed. Now, a new kind of farmer is trying to bring it back.
Read the story: Delaware’s new oyster industry: Watermen become pioneer farmers on the water
Delaware high school football: A running diary of the first day of practice
Here’s what we saw on opening day.
Read the story: High school football practices kick off
How Delaware is helping kids learn English
Small things like knowing how to ask to go to the bathroom can make a big difference for incoming EL students.
Read the story: With more state money, schools add summer programs for English learners and low-income students
MORE TOP STORIES
Rule forbidding pets from restaurant patios draws ire from dog lovers, business owners
Wake up hangry? Try one of these new Delaware breakfast spots
Delaware’s oldest schoolhouse to be replaced by replica, shopping center, townhomes
Dominican Republic resort’s business plummets after Delaware woman claims she was beaten there
- Trump Shutdown Stories in All 50 States
- Delaware Primary: Watch U.S. Senate candidates Sen. Tom Carper and Kerri Evelyn Harris debate
- Opinion: I didn't vote in 2016 — Here’s my reason why – The Review
- When world scholars and campus life collide – The Review
- Christopher Castellani tells story of playwright Tennessee Williams, lover
- Revenge of the travel industry: Online reviews of you
- Graduate simultaneously earns degrees from University of Delaware, Delaware State
- Pennsylvania voters can apply for absentee ballots online
- Pennsylvania to let voters apply online for absentee ballots