OLEY, Pa. (AP) — Authorities say a 5-year-old boy has died while playing in a stormwater retention basin on a family farm in southeastern Pennsylvania.
Andrew Martin was playing with some other boys in several feet of water that had collected Thursday in the basin in Oley, Berks County after a day of heavy rains. They were in a small kayak or paddle board that flipped over about 8:15 p.m.
The boys who were with Martin ran into the family home to get help and a parent called 911. But Martin was unconscious in the pond when responders arrived and was later pronounced dead at a hospital.
Authorities say the death was not related to the flash flooding that occurred throughout the region on Thursday. In another section of Berks County Thursday, a pregnant woman and her son died after their car was swept away by floodwaters.
An investigation into the death is ongoing.
- 1 person dies after boat capsizes in San Francisco Bay
- 17 migrants die after boat capsizes
- Man and teenager die after boat capsizes off Donegal coast
- 2 men who died after boat capsized on Irvine Lake ID’d
- Fisherman died after boat capsized off Plymouth coast
- Man dies after boat capsizes in St Francis Bay
- Small boat capsizes off New Jersey coast, 2 dead: authorities
- Fisherman dies after boat capsizes on lake in southwest Ohio
- Four died after boat capsizes in Binh Phuoc
- Two men drown after small boat capsizes in Jamaica Bay: officials