Big Macs may soon be flying overhead in San Diego, carried by specially crafted drones developed by Uber’s flight arm, Uber Elevate.The company announced its food delivery trial program more than a year ago, but now says it’s about ready for commercial launch as soon as this summer. And they’re starting in sunny San Diego, where the weather is generally mild enough for drone flight.To start, the ride-hailing giant will be delivering McDonald’s fast food, but plans to include other Uber Eats restaurant partners later this year.Uber won’t be sending buzzing drones directly to your door, according to Bloomberg, which first reported the news. Instead, Uber will send the drones to designated “safe landing zones” where human couriers will pick up the food and bring it to your door. The company might also land the drones on parked Uber cars (tagged with QR codes), which will carry the goods to their final destinations. The drone delivery option could significantly cut down wait times, the company said. For a delivery 1.5 miles away, ground transportation averages 21 minutes; drones can make the trip in about seven minutes. Uber Elevate is developing a custom drone that can fly up to 70 miles… Read full this story
- Report: Rocky Long to step down, Brady Hoke expected to be next head coach at San Diego State
- Wyoming faces tough test vs No. 7 San Diego St.
- UC Riverside squares off against San Diego Christian
- Dutcher’s No. 7 Aztecs once again San Diego’s hottest ticket
- San Diego school district sues Juul for "impeding learning"
- Undefeated Auburn, San Diego St rise in Top 25; Butler No. 6
- San Diego Plans to Spend $100 Million for Sidewalk Repairs
- I'll have a Big McEverest and fries, please! CRAIG BROWN on thirteen things you didn't know about Big Macs
- San Diego schools sue JUUL: Officials claim the e-cig maker should pay for missed classes, 'vape detectors,' extra staff and cameras to catch students in the act amid crisis that's killed 55
- Comiket Outsizes San Diego Comic-Con With Record Attendance
Flying Big Macs are coming to San Diego courtesy of Uber drones have 357 words, post on www.sandiegouniontribune.com at June 12, 2019. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.