ZEPHYRHILLS — Host Zephyrhills dealt with plenty of adversity in Thursday’s scrimmage against Clermont East Ridge. As if dealing with the loss of 23 seniors and lining up a defense with just two returners were not enough, starting quarterback Nick Novo is out with a broken finger and a half-dozen players departed with cramping issues.It all added up to a 28-24 loss to the Knights, who fell behind the Bulldogs 24-14 but rallied for the go-ahead touchdown on Robbie Sanders’ quarterback keeper with 14 seconds left in the game.“I hope that burns,” Zephyrhills coach Nick Carroll told his team afterward. “We’ve got a lot of young guys here that need to learn how to play football. This is a humbling experience.”Among the more experienced players was running back Zyre Roundtree, one of three Bulldogs to line up at quarterback, who ran for a game-high 151 yards and two touchdowns. That included a 78-yard jaunt that helped erase a 7-0 deficit and a 23-yard run that gave the Zephyrhills its first lead at 18-14.The Bulldogs went ahead 24-14 on Jaylin Thomas’ 3-yard touchdown run before the Knights came back on a pair of Sanders’ scoring runs. Sanders gave Zephyrhills fits throwing… Read full this story
- It pains me as a Manchester United fan but Liverpool have been fantastic: Ryan Giggs
- CU Buffs chancellor Phil DiStefano: “I believe we’re going to have football in the fall”
- Rams’ Aaron Donald: Football without fans ‘wouldn’t be fun’
- U.S. college towns on edge as coronavirus threatens football season
- Bears' Mitch Trubisky sees no offensive 'breakthrough' in Week 3 dominance over Redskins, looks to 'keep growing'
- LSU football players can finally begin summer workouts. Here's the plan to keep coronavirus away
- Auto sector will feel the maximum pain this year: Prashant Jain
- Summer hosepipe ban fears after one of driest Springs ever with less than 3.5in of rain since March
- College Football in Coronavirus Quarantine: On this day in CFT history, including Steve Spurrier predicting Tim Tebow will ‘do super’ in the NFL
- OLCHS Honors Athletes With Virtual Spring Sports Awards
Spring football: A few growing pains for Zephyrhills have 362 words, post on www.tampabay.com at May 16, 2019. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.