The sister of Nipsey Hussle will continue to care for the slain rapper’s 10-year-old daughter Emani.
A judge in Los Angeles ruled Monday in a closed hearing that Emani will continue to live with Samantha Smith, TMZ reported.
Smith, who has been looking after the child since her father’s death in March, had filed a petition to be named Emani’s legal guardian, a move opposed by the girl’s biological mother Tanisha Foster who is seeking to regain custody.
Court drama: A judge in Los Angeles ruled Monday in a closed hearing that Nipsy Hussle’s daughter Emani, 10, will continue to live with his sister Samantha Smith, TMZ reported
Loss: Emani has been living with Samantha since her dad’s murder in March. She’s seen far right and Samantha is pictured far left at the rapper’s memorial on April 11
Another hearing has been scheduled for July.
Foster’s lawyer, Larry Lewellyn, told TMZ he’s trying to work out a visitation schedule for Foster who left the courtroom in tears.
Smith believes that Foster is not fit to care for Emani and told the court she wants to ‘ensure the continued stability for Emani and ensure that she will be able to maintain her current and ongoing relationship’ with her father’s family.
Meanwhile, according to TMZ, an arrest warrant has reportedly been issued for the Foster after she missed an LA court date May 15 stemming from a DUI.
The Grammy nominee’s dimple-pierced ex-girlfriend – who pleaded ‘no contest’ in 2017 – had her three-year probation revoked and a bench warrant issued, TMZ said.
Foster’s rap sheet also includes a 2007 arrest for vandalism and disturbing the peace, as well as a 2006 arrest for resisting arrest and disturbing the peace.
Legal moves: Samantha has filed a petition to be named Emani’s legal guardian. There’s another court hearing scheduled for July
Legal fight: The girl’s biological mother Tanisha Foster, pictured with her daughter, is seeking to regain custody but Samantha claims she’s not fit to care for Emani
Nipsey also had a two-year-old son, Kross, with longtime girlfriend Lauren London.
He was buried at Forest Lawn Memorial Park back on April 12 after being gunned down outside his Marathon Store in LA’s Crenshaw district on March 31.
Shortly after the shooting, his alleged killer Eric Holder was apprehended.
Holder pleaded not guilty to murder on April 5, due back in court by May 10 according to TMZ.
The 29-year-old is being defended in currently being held in solitary confinement and faces a lifetime sentence if convicted.
Remembered: Nipsey was buried at Forest Lawn Memorial Park back on April 12 after being gunned down outside his Marathon Store in LA’s Crenshaw district on March 31
- Steph Curry calls Nipsey Hussle's death 'tragic' and says the rapper 'was just getting started'
- Nipsey Hussle's brother recalls trying to save rapper's life, frustration that no one could shoot back
- Nipsey Hussle: Police make arrest after the LA rapper was killed on Sunday
- Brother remembers Nipsey Hussle as a ‘beacon of light’ to Crenshaw
- Rapper Nipsey Hussle, 33, dead after being 'gunned down' in LA
- The Game breaks down over death of Nipsey Hussle
- Nipsey Hussle’s girlfriend Lauren London breaks silence after rapper’s death
- 10 Nipsey Hussle Songs You Need to Know
- Nipsey Hussle Shooting Suspect Charged With Murder
- Nipsey Hussle girlfriend Lauren London breaks silence on his death