FARGO — When the calendar turns to may, minds in Fargo begin to turn to the Fargo Marathon.
This week, the celebration begins on Monday with the Cyclothon and goes all the way to the weekend with the 26.2 mile race.
45 elite athletes are scheduled to run the race.
This year, all race entrant numbers are being capped but dependent on numbers on Monday, race officials are willing to extend those caps. So far, about 20,000 people have signed up.
The main change has been the route, which will have to avoid the river and mass construction going through Fargo.
“It’s been a year of perseverance when it comes to planning this route,” said Fargo Marathon executive director Mark Knutson.
Still, excitement is brewing because of all of the events being planned for the week, from the 5K to the Furgo dog race. It’s given the staff more to plan for than they ever thought they would.
“What’s nice is that you get a lot of people participating who probably wouldn’t have participated otherwise,” Knutson said.
Inforum.com and WDAY Xtra will have coverage of the marathon, starting at 7:00 a.m. on Saturday.
- World of Warcraft’s Midsummer Fire Festival begins next week
- The European Speedrunner Asssembly charity marathon runs all week
- PvEvP shooter The Cycle begins weekly open alpha playtests on Friday
- Elder Scrolls Online Halloween Festival Begins Today, Lets You Morph Into a Zombie
- Pokemon Go’s Water Festival begins today
- No Man's Sky Begins Weekly Content Updates, Adds New Items
- Destiny 2: The Dawning 2018 will bring a new heavy machine gun, the best sparrow ever, and more festivities next week
- Games for Change festival begins April 22, introduces new events
- "Biggest Ever" Xbox Game Sale Begins, Week 1 Deals Revealed
- Steam Begins Week-Long Sales Program