A Brooklyn man accused of using an ax to seriously injure his girlfriend and kill her pregnant pal pleaded not guilty to murder, attempted murder, assault and weapons charges Friday.
Ex-con Jerry Brown, 34, who used the name “Grim Creeper” on social media, remains held without bail in the grisly attack, for which he now faces a maximum prison sentence of 25 years to life.
He has confessed to elements of the attack, Brooklyn DA Eric Gonzalez said Friday.
The gruesome savagery came to light at 1:30 a.m. April 20, when Brown’s blood-drenched ex, Angela Valle, 21, tried to hail an Uber from the Bushwick Houses to the hospital. The driver, who’d been stopped at a traffic light, called 911.
Before losing consciousness, Valle told medics that Brown had attacked her and that her 4-year-old daughter and her friend were still inside the eighth-floor apartment at 811 Flushing Ave., police said.
Cops found the child unharmed and sleeping in a back bedroom. Valle’s friend, Savannah Rivera, 20, was discovered dead and partially decapitated on the living-room floor.
Rivera, who was two months pregnant, left behind a 3-year-old son who was not present for the carnage.
Brown turned himself in at 5:30 p.m. the same day, police said.
Woman nearly killed in deadly ax attack loved suspect’s violent past
“During an interview with investigators, the defendant confessed to attacking Rivera and stated that he threw the ax and his girlfriend’s cellphone in the building’s incinerator,” Gonzalez said in a press statement announcing Friday’s arraignment.
“He also stated that he washed blood off his hands before leaving the apartment.
“The brutality of this attack, which claimed the life of a pregnant mother and left a second young mother fighting for her life, is truly appalling,” Gonzalez said. “These horrifying alleged actions have traumatized two families and shocked our community. I intend to prosecute this case vigorously and hold the defendant responsible for the violent crimes with which he is charged.”
Valle remains in Elmhurst Hospital in critical condition, he said.
Brown remains held without bail; his next court date is Aug. 9.
- Man accused of sex attack facing new charge
- Man accused over acid attack on son tells court he was ‘never’ involved
- EXCLUSIVE: Brooklyn man accused of stabbing father also threatened to kill sister over cell phone
- Lawyer of black Brooklyn man accuses prosecutors of protecting assailant due to political ties
- Brooklyn man accused of killing friend's pet doves as he robbed the victim's shop
- Brooklyn man accused of hacking up wife’s corpse with saw a week after he killed her pleads not guilty
- Bail denied for Brooklyn man accused of fatally stabbing neighbor in argument over woman
- Brooklyn man accused of groping woman on Delta Airlines flight cleared of all charges
- Trial to begin for Hasidic Brooklyn man accused of beating gay black man into partial blindness