Lo was out fishing with his three children on March 29 when his one-year-old fell into the river. The Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office responded to the area and located two of his children drifting in the boat and also found the one-year-old floating in the river with a life jacket on. The young child was taken to the hospital in critical condition and remains hospitalized, but is recovering.
The sheriff’s office said numerous public safety agencies tried to locate 41-year-old Lo on the day of the incident, but they were unsuccessful.
In the days following, crews searched with sonar units, boats, ground crews, ATVs, and canines. On Sunday, crews searching the area were advised a fisherman found a body in the river.
Deputies assisted the coroner’s office with the recovery and the coroner’s office confirmed the body was Moua Lo’s, on Monday.
The Lo family issued a statement Monday evening after the recovery:
“We, Moua Lo’s family, would like to extend our gratitude to family, friends and the greater community. As a result of your determined love and support, we were able to ﬁnd Moua’s body on April 6, 2019. Our family would not have endured the immense shock and sorrow without the kindness and compassion of all those who stood with us. We want to speciﬁcally acknowledge Moua’s Frito Lay family for their undying support; James Holman, Eddie Eagleton, Fue Her, Ronny Baker and his friend who assisted us at a moment’s notice; the three Isleton residents who loaned us their waterfront properties to station our search efforts and the use of their dock for our boats; the Sacramento Sheriffs Ofﬁce and their partners Tulare Sheriffs Ofﬁce and the Department of Fish and Game; the Coastguard Rio Vista Station, and the Delta Island Fire Department. Lastly, we want to thank our community for the prayers for Moua’s 1 year-old-son who is currently in stable condition. Even though we lost a great husband, father, son, brother, leader and friend, we will never forget all of you who deeply impacted our lives. This weeklong search could not have been endured without you. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.”
- Officials Investigate Body Found in Salem, Mass.
- State authorities recover man's body from Neosho River
- Georgia Father Dies After Saving 5 Children From Burning Home
- NY Man Drowns While Saving Child From Hudson River
- Women Save Child From Cemetery Sacrifice
- CPS Fights to Save Child’s Life, Mother Cries Medical Kidnapping
- Macron rewards migrant ‘Spiderman’ who saved child
- Throwback Fathers: Dads’ Involvement in Child Rearing Isn’t New
- Malian Immigrant Gets French Citizenship After Saving Child Dangling From Balcony
- Texas Father Says 7-Year-Old Isn’t Transgender, Igniting a Politicized Outcry