Britain’s main opposition Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn speaks during the annual conference of the EEF manufacturers organisation at the Queen Elizabeth II Conference Centre in London, Tuesday Feb. 19, 2019. Seven British lawmakers quit the Labour Party on Monday over its approach to Brexit and alleged anti-Semitism, the biggest shake-up in years for one of Britain’s major political parties. (Stefan Rousseau/PA via AP)
LONDON – An eighth lawmaker has quit Britain’s Labour Party over its handling of anti-Semitism and Brexit, boosting a new breakaway group from the U.K.’s main opposition party.
Joan Ryan announced late Tuesday that after four decades in the party she was leaving Labour to sit with the newly formed Independent Group in Parliament.
Ryan said the party had become “infected with the scourge of anti-Jewish racism” under left-wing Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, a longtime supporter of the Palestinians.
Seven Labour legislators quit Monday, accusing Corbyn of failing to stamp out anti-Semitism in the party and of mounting a weak opposition to Conservative Prime Minister Theresa May’s plans for leaving the European Union.
The breakaway lawmakers hope to gain members from among disgruntled pro-Europeans in both the Labour and Conservative parties.
- Corbyn’s union ally says Labour anti-Semitism row was created by Israel to distract from country’s ‘atrocities’
- Jeremy Corbyn ‘doesn’t give two hoots’ about Jewish people, Alan Sugar says after Labour anti-Semitism scandal
- Watson gives Labour general secretary until Christmas to halt anti-Semitism row
- Labour MP accused of downplaying anti-Semitism ‘deeply regrets’ choice of words
- UK Labour Jewish Affiliate Ready to Sue over Weak Anti-Semitism Definition
- Union boss ‘accuses Israel of starting anti-Semitism row to mask atrocities’
- Watch: Michael Gove Attacks ‘Hamas-Hugging’ Jeremy Corbyn over Anti-Semitism
- Israeli Official Michael Oren In Twitter Spat With French Envoy to Israel Over ‘Anti-Semitic Resolution’
- Saudi Scholar Spins Anti-Semitic Conspiracy Theory: Jews Exploiting Hollywood for World Domination
- 300 French Personalities Denounce ‘Islamist Radicalisation’, Sign Manifesto Against ‘New anti-Semitism’