If Mayor de Blasio wants to make good on his vow to protect New Yorkers from slumlords, he can start at this Queens hellhole. City inspectors have slapped 87-40 165th St. and its landlord, Eric Silverstein, with more than 1,000 violations worth nearly $4 million in fines since de Blasio took office in 2014, but have only moved to collect $138,600 from him, public records show. “Once those violations are recorded, there is a disconnect on following up,” said Nelson Yeung, a lawyer representing tenants in a suit against Silverstein. “There’s no one to make sure these violations are fixed.” With the city’s light touch giving Silverstein — No. 1 on the public advocate’s 2018 list of the city’s worst private landlords — little incentive to make repairs, tenants say they continue to languish among vermin infestations, leaky windows and rampant mold. “I’m ashamed to have people over,” said Stella, a nurse and fifth-floor resident who requested that her last name be withheld. Among the squalid living conditions Stella has to endure in the six-story, 118-unit Jamaica building are a nagging roach problem, leaks in the kitchen and a broken mailbox that forces her to pick up her mail at… Read full this story
- Queen Letizia paid the sweetest tribute to her husband King Felipe with her Valentine's Day outfit
- Hey, Netflix, Pay ‘The Crown’s’ Claire Foy the Money She Is Owed for Playing the Queen
- Mum, 54, fined £100 after ‘stopping for two minutes to buy food’ at ‘daylight robbery’ East Midlands Airport petrol station
- Judge hits bad S.F. landlord with extra $400k penalty
- Prince Philip 'drives like he's only one on road' and is 'notorious in Sandringham'
- If Scotland Breaks Free, Queen Elizabeth Could Speak for Two Countries at Once
- What is the Queen’s net worth and how much does Queen Elizabeth II earn each year?
- Our poor, unfortunate souls are grateful for Queen Latifah's Ursula in 'The Little Mermaid Live'
- HAIL THE CATWALK QUEEN
- The Queen and Prince Philip give rare glimpse of Balmoral Castle in personal photo
Notorious Queens landlord has paid a fraction of $4M in fines have 351 words, post on nypost.com at January 14, 2019. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.