GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS: Florida lawmakers again are talking about creating some added pathways to a high school diploma. Before making any decisions, they might want to talk to high school students, who have some strong views about where to begin.
AFTER SCHOOL: Pasco County middle school students find benefits in the school district’s new after-school Beyond the Bell program.
TEXTBOOKS: Some Florida school districts find the state’s five-year textbook adoption cycle too slow to keep up with changing materials, and seek alternatives wherever possible, Florida Politics reports.
SCHOOL DISTRICT GRADES: Florida’s A-rated school districts have some common traits, including lower than average student absenteeism and Title I participation, the St. Augustine Record reports.
CAREER TRAINING: An Okaloosa County high school launches an EMT certification program, a first in Florida that other districts seek to emulate, the Northwest Florida Daily News reports. • Sixteen Lake County middle school students explore the district’s construction career academy, the Daily Commercial reports.
SCHOOL CHOICE: Participation shrinks in St. Johns County’s open enrollment program, the St. Augustine Record reports.
BOOK MACHINE: A Lake County elementary school installs a vending machine filled with donated books that students can earn by making good choices, the Daily Commercial reports.
AFTER MICHAEL: Shrinking enrollment in Bay County schools will cost the district millions in general revenue, the Panama City News Herald reports.
NEW SCHOOLS: Polk County school district officials review plans for a new high school, the Ledger reports.
OLD SCHOOLS: Duval County school district leaders plan public meetings to discuss how to approach maintenance and renovation needs in their aging schools, the Florida Times-Union reports.
VAPING: Brevard County schools see rising student use of vaping, Florida Today reports.
START TIMES: Seminole County’s superintendent seeks a way to let high school classes start later without causing transportation troubles, the Orlando Sentinel reports.
HEALTH CARE: The Sarasota County school district plans to add more nurses to care for students, the Herald-Tribune reports.
RESCHEDULED: Broward County superintendent Robert Runcie reschedules meetings with Parkland parents after having canceled them amid concerns that protests might erupt, the Sun-Sentinel reports.
- ICYMI: Florida education news in review, week of June 10, 2019
- ICYMI: Florida education news in review, week of May 13, 2019
- ICYMI: Florida education news in review, week of June 3, 2019
- ICYMI: Florida education news in review, week of April 22. 2019
- ICYMI: Florida education news in review, week of May 20, 2019
- ICYMI: Florida education news in review, week of April 15, 2019
- ICYMI: Florida education news in review, week of April 29, 2019
- Florida education news: Funding, vouchers, teacher evaluations and more
- Florida education news: Armed teachers, school board term limits, reading lessons and more
- Florida education news: School taxes, student voices, public comments and more