Abdul Karim suffered the cruelty of watching his letters from Queen Victoria being burned at Frogmore Cottage
At Frogmore Cottage in Windsor, the first Indian member of the royal household, Queen Victoria's trusted aide Abdul Karim, suffered the cruelty of watching his letters from Victoria being burned — just hours after she had been buried in the Royal Mausoleum a short walk away.
The Queen had become close to Abdul, whom she called the Munshi, or teacher, and learned Urdu from him. She loved to sit and talk with him at her homes in Scotland, the Isle of Wight and at Windsor.
Queen Victoria would also bring European royals to visit him and his wife, Khadija, for tea in the cottage a stone's throw from Windsor Castle.
But their closeness sparked racism and jealousy among the court and other members of the Queen's family — and ultimately, just hours after Victoria was buried in 1901, a group of senior royals and courtiers came to his home and ordered that all his letters from the monarch be destroyed.
"It was early morning and just hours after her funeral. [Queen] Alexandra and Princess Beatrice were standing there and a lot of guards, and they ordered a raid on his house and all of his letters were taken and burned," says Shrabani Basu, whose 2010 book Victoria & Abdul: The True Story of the Queen's Closest Confidant inspired the film starring Judi Dench in 2017. "It was a heartbreaking moment in Abdul's life. It was a bit of dark history."
Abdul lived at Frogmore Cottage for around 10 years until he was sent back to Agra, India, after Victoria's death.
The Queen had allowed him to decorate it how he liked. "I imagine it was very beautiful and he filled it with beautiful objects he was given by European royalty," says Basu. "I'm sure it was full of exotic things."
"She would bring European royalty with her to visit," she adds. "They would often go there for tea and meet the munshi and his wife. Her diaries are full of mentions of meeting the Munshi and his wife for tea."
Just as enlightened Victoria was a monarch open to other races and people and "ahead of her time," as Basu calls her, there are parallels with Meghan — the first mixed-race woman to marry into the royal family, now moving into the same home he enjoyed.
"There is a certain poignancy about them choosing Frogmore Cottage," says Basu, speaking from Delhi.
Sadly, there is unlikely to be anything left of Abdul, as the cottage was later converted into four separate staff quarters.
Frogmore was one of three cottages Victoria gifted Abdul, along with Osbourne on the Isle of Wight and Karim Cottage at Balmoral in Scotland.
- Whoops, So Turns Out Meghan Markle And Prince Harry's New Home Is 'Dilapidated'
- EXCLUSIVE - Revealed: Organic baby shawl Meghan Markle used to swaddle baby Archie at the polo is made in Indian factory where some dirt poor workers earn just 37p an hour
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry joke ‘how do you keep control of them?’ as they meets kids and teachers in snowy visit
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle join David Beckham and Cruz at Invictus Games on last day in Sydney
- Pregnant Meghan Markle misses morning engagements in Oz as she’s ‘resting’ with Prince Harry due to watch Invictus Game cycling
- Meghan Markle’s best pal Jessica Mulroney ‘practised Royal Wedding walk for month and promised snapper a Pippa Middleton moment’
- The Queen's Wedding Gift To Prince Harry And Meghan Markle Sounds Incredible
- What Prince Harry And Meghan Markle’s Body Language Says About Their Relationship
- Meghan Markle Just Wore A Necklace Made From Pasta And Now I Want One
- Meghan Markle Is Reportedly Considering Breaking Royal Tradition by Having a Home Birth
- Meghan Markle dazzles in sparkly blue dress and Diana’s bracelet alongside Prince Harry at Cirque du Soleil performance in London
- Could Prince William Miss the Birth of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's Baby?
|Beyond Treason: What You Don't Know About Your Government Could Kill You3.8★ / $54.31||Judy Toll; The Funniest Woman You've Never Heard Of4.8★ / $50||Ed the Sock: The Crap You Haven't Seen check it now at Amazon||Drug Class: What You Don't Know About Marijuana5.0★ / $29.98||Things You Don`t Talk About - O czym sie nie mowi DVD5.0★ / $14.95||If I look quiet it's because you haven't seen me with my Classical Guitar T-Shirt5.0★ / $21.99||If I look quiet it's because you haven't seen me with my Piano T-Shirt$21.99||If I look quiet it's because you haven't seen me with my French Horn Hoodie check it now at Amazon||If I look quiet it's because you haven't seen me with my Mellophone Women T-Shirt check it now at Amazon||If I look quiet it's because you haven't seen me with my Violin Hoodie check it now at Amazon||If I look quiet it's because you haven't seen me with my Baritone Saxophone T-Shirt check it now at Amazon||If I look quiet it's because you haven't seen me with my Tenor Saxophone T-Shirt$21.99||The Worst of You Can't Do That On Television [VHS] check it now at Amazon||You Ain't Heard Nothin' Yet: Jolie's Finest Columbia Recordings$2.49||Ashes To Ashes/You Don't Know About Love (Import VG 45 rpm)5.0★ / $2.99||You Ain't Heard Nothin' Yet check it now at Amazon||UNTIL YOU'VE HEARD THE SHACKLEFORDS YOU AIN'T HEARD NOTHIN' YET$3.99||The Greatest Songs You've Never Heard$19.98||If You Think You're Nasty, You Haven't Heard This check it now at Amazon||Antilles Music You Haven't Heard Yet Vol.2 check it now at Amazon||Angels We Haven't Heard$6.85||You Ain't Heard Nothin' Yet / I Love You / A Girl, A Girl check it now at Amazon||You Haven't Been Where I've Been$14.98||We Haven't Heard of You Either check it now at Amazon||You Won't Forget About Me 15.0★ / $2.03||You Won't Forget About Me4.0★ / $11.45||You Won't Forget About Me Pt.25.0★ / $2.88||You Ain't Heard of Me check it now at Amazon||You Ain't Heard Nothin Yet/Merry Christmas check it now at Amazon||IF YOU HAVEN'T GOT ANYTHING NICE TO SAY ABOUT ANYBODY, COME SIT NEXT TO ME. Beverage Napkins check it now at Amazon|
The 'Heartbreaking' Detail You Haven't Heard About Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's New Home have 1138 words, post on people.com at November 27, 2018. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.