In an Instagram Hart posted Tuesday, the former motocross star wrote how “unfortunate it was that some people take advantage of others in a crisis. … Well, if you are a looter, think twice if you are heading back into Malibu.”
Hart did not mention whether the home he shares with Pink and their two children was invaded. TMZ reported that their property was spared in the Woolsey fire, which has killed at least two people and scorched at least 97,000 acres in Malibu and surrounding areas. Wildfires raging elsewhere in California have killed at least 48 and burned more than 8,800 structures.
The undated, unidentified photo that Hart posted features masked men brandishing weapons with a sign that reads: “Looters will be shot on site! P.D.C. posse.”
Hart commented under the photo that the masked men are “locals I used to live by” and said he’s not among them, according to USA Today.
His message struck a wrong note with many people. Some accused Hart of promoting vigilantism and the wrong message amid “all the gun carnage to innocent people in the wrong place at the wrong time.”
The fire-ravaged region also was the scene of a mass shooting in Thousand Oaks that killed 12 people at a bar last week.
“It’s undoubtedly wrong for anyone to break into anyone’s homes especially at a time like this but there really has to be another approach to this,” another person wrote on Hart’s post. “California just lost 12 people to senselessness and countless bullets. Could’ve been you, your kids or one of your friends. At some point we are going to have to evolve.”
Pink last week tweeted thanks to emergency responders.
Just need to say THANKYOU to all of the firefighters. All of the first responders. All of the helpers. The thing to look for in tragedy is all of the helpers. We’re all so grateful for your bravery and selflessness.
— P!nk (@Pink) November 9, 2018
Hart didn’t immediately answer requests for comment through reps for Pink.
BEFORE YOU GO
- Pink's Husband Carey Hart Criticized for Exposing Son's Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease to Others
- Carey Hart, Pink's husband, slams parent-shamers
- Twitter image threatens shooting Meghan McCain; her husband blasts Twitter's CEO
- Friday, Aug. 31, 2018 letters: Farm bill, portrait prank, police shooting, wildfires, protecting children
- Police: South Lyon student threatened shooting at middle school
- 21 Awesome Parenting Moments From Pink
- Pink's 1-year-old son Jameson gets hand-foot-and-mouth disease while on tour with his mom
- Pink's daughter visits ER after playground fall
- Las Vegas shooting survivors 'Country Strong' 1 year later
- Update: 4 dead, including suspect, after Maryland warehouse shooting