(CNN)The son of a US Marine has been elected governor of Okinawa after campaigning against Washington’s military presence on the southern Japanese island. Denny Tamaki won the election Sunday with 55.1% of the vote, easily beating Atsushi Sakima who was backed by Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s Liberal Democratic Party (LDP). Tamaki said a “new era” had begun in Okinawa on his official Twitter account, saying the outcome reflected how “seriously” voters had taken the election. “This victory doesn’t belong to Denny Tamaki. It belongs to everyone. The fight is just beginning,” he said. #沖縄県知事選 が終わりました。誰に投票した人であれ、沖縄の未来を真剣に考えた一票だったと思います。その想いをこの一身に受け止めます。この勝利は玉城デニーの勝利ではありません。みなさんの勝利です。たたかいはこれから。ともに #新時代沖縄 へ進みましょう。pic.twitter.com/HCISnKl13S— 玉城デニー (@tamakidenny) September 30, 2018 The win further complicates the ongoing United States military presence in Okinawa, which it has maintained since the end of World War II, despite opposition among residents. Read More Positioned just east of the Chinese coastline and within flight distance of North Korea, the US bases in Okinawa represent an important asset for Washington’s military presence in the region. Tamaki, whose mother is Japanese, is a well known local radio personality who was elected to parliament in 2009. During his campaign for governor, he vowed to oppose the construction of new US bases on the island. The Okinawa… Read full this story
- Keller @ Large: Trump’s Suggestion To Delay Election Is Filled With Flaws
- Firm Owned by Joe Biden’s Son-in-Law Benefited from Upwards of $350K in PPP Loans
- Seven marines and a sailor are presumed dead as search is called off two days after their amphibious assault vehicle sank in 600ft-deep water off the Southern California coast
- Search continues for 8 missing after Marine craft sinks
- Is Ukraine headed for a snap parliamentary election?
- Trump's Germany troops pullout may be his last gift to Putin before the election
- Prince Philip's final salute as Iron Duke marks 'last ever military engagement'
- Marine Le Pen ‘Purges’ Party Leadership of Social Conservative Figures
- Survivors of slain Ohio-based Marines mark grim anniversary
- US halts search for seven marines, sailor missing off California
Son of US Marine elected Okinawa governor on anti-military ticket have 343 words, post on edition.cnn.com at October 1, 2018. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.