October 30, 2018 By Matt Kelley Senator Chuck Grassley. (file photo) Iowa Senator Chuck Grassley says he supports the troop buildup on the U.S. border with Mexico as a caravan of several thousand Central American migrants approaches. Initially, 800 active duty soldiers were going to be dispatched to the border. Now, the number is over five-thousand troops, combined with another two-thousand-plus National Guard members who were already assigned there. “One of the definitions of a sovereign nation is protecting its borders and, quite frankly, arresting 1,000 people every day, sometimes 1,700, to send them back because they entered the country illegally, we’re not doing a very good job of protecting our borders,” Grassley says. “We should protect our borders.” More than 73-hundred troops should be at the border before Election Day, which is reportedly more American soldiers than are now deployed in Iraq and Syria combined. Grassley says the U.S. would welcome these people — if they’d follow the rules. “Let’s say there’s 5,000 in this caravan. That’s a spit in the ocean compared to the million people that we take in every year legally,” Grassley says. “Why don’t they go back to their country and go to our embassies… Read full this story
- Mexican Border Newspaper Calls Out Assault on Photographer by Federal Official
- Mexican Border City Closes Beaches Due to Coronavirus
- PHOTOS: Coronavirus Fears Clear Mexican Border City’s Streets
- GRAPHIC: Mexican Border State Capital Suffers 3 Cartel Murders in 12 Hours
- Downed jet discovered near the Mexican border packed full of drugs and 'abandoned by smugglers'
- Acting DHS Sec’y Wolf: ‘Hope to’ Have Restrictions on Mexican Border ‘Similar’ to Ones on Canadian Border
- New York Senior Citizen Arrested For Making Death Threats Against Senators Who Supported Kavanaugh
- U.S. Senator Grassley says June 1 USMCA start date problematic for automakers
- Sprawling Mexican border camp ill-prepared for coronavirus
- Immigrants Waiting At The Mexican Border Are At High Risk Of Contracting The Coronavirus, Experts Warn
Senator Grassley supports the use of troops on the Mexican border have 336 words, post on www.radioiowa.com at October 30, 2018. This is cached page on USA Posts. If you want remove this page, please contact us.