A man has been arrested and booked with vehicular homicide in a June crash on I-10 East in St. John the Baptist Parish that killed a 59-year-old Baton Rouge man.
Ivan Johnson was booked in Livingston Parish Wednesday with charges including vehicular homicide, vehicular negligent injuring, obstruction of justice, driving while intoxicated (first offense), reckless operation of a motor vehicle and speeding, according to Louisiana State Police.
The crash on June 10 occurred shortly before 9 p.m. on I-10 east at mile post 207, near LaPlace. Anthony Lewis, 59, died at the scene.
Lewis was in a 2006 Chevrolet Avalanche with Johnson and one other man when the truck, which was traveling east on I-10 at a high rate of speed, ran off the road and flipped several times, police said. Lewis was not wearing a seatbelt and was ejected during the crash.
The other two men were hospitalized with moderate injuries, police said.
Police said they were investigating the exact seating position of the truck’s occupants, and with the help of DNA evidence determined that Johnson was the driver at the time of the crash. Statements given by Johnson did not match evidence at the scene, according to investigators. They also said that Johnson was determined to be over the legal driving limit for blood alcohol content.
- Man booked with vehicular homicide in St. John crash that killed 74-year-old
- 22-year-old man dies in St. Landry parish crash
- 1 dead, 1 hurt in St. Tammany Parish crash Friday
- Jury convicts Alabama man of murdering girlfriend in St. Tammany Parish
- Piscataway driver charged with vehicular homicide in South Plainfield motorcycle crash
- Vehicular homicide charged in Severance teen's death
- Vehicular homicide charge filed against Waterloo man in July accident
- Des Moines man charged with vehicular homicide in deadly wrong-way crash
- Iowa man charged with vehicular homicide in fatal head-on crash in no-passing zone