AKRON, Ohio — Human remains that were found late last year by a fisherman in the Cuyahoga River have been identified as a missing Akron man, Akron police said.
The remains were identified as those of La’Ron Harris, 27, of Newton Street, police said. Harris’ bones were found by a man on Oct. 5, 2017, who was fly fishing along the bank of the Cuyahoga River.
The Summit County Medical Examiner’s Office examined the remains and put them through a series of tests before matching them to Harris’ DNA, police said.
Harris was last seen Feb. 20, 2016, about 2:30 a.m. at the Lazy Gator bar in the Merriman Valley’s bar complex. A friend, Kaila Watkins, who was 25 at the time, asked him for a ride home, according to police.
The two got in the car and Harris drove out of the parking lot onto Weathervane Lane. Instead of continuing on Weathervane Lane towards Merriman Road, Harris drove into an apartment complex driveway and crashed through a wooden barrier.
The car plummeted into the Cuyahoga River and sunk. Watkins told police they both escaped the car. She swam against the current to the riverbank and was unharmed.
Watkins told police she saw Harris swimming with the current, but never saw him again.
Relatives reported Harris missing two days after the crash and searched the river in the Merriman Valley following the crash.
If you’d like to comment on this post, please visit the cleveland.com crime and courts comments section.
- Two held over French campsite where man went missing after floods
- Crews search for body in Cuyahoga River in Akron
- Fresno County homicide went cold years ago. Deputies now say they know who killed him
- Authorities Investigating Human Remains Found in Texas for Link to Missing Former Priest
- New appeal launched almost 10 years after Norwich man went missing in Thailand
- Police identify man killed 56 years ago through DNA technology
- Remains found near Guffey in area where man went missing
- Remains of 2 Japanese climbers who went missing in 1970 Matterhorn storm ID'd by Swiss
- Human remains found in Southampton park may be 22-year-old man who went missing after Skyping his girlfriend