AKRON, Ohio — Human remains that were found late last year by a fisherman in the Cuyahoga River have been identified as a missing Akron man, Akron police said.
The remains were identified as those of La’Ron Harris, 27, of Newton Street, police said. Harris’ bones were found by a man on Oct. 5, 2017, who was fly fishing along the bank of the Cuyahoga River.
The Summit County Medical Examiner’s Office examined the remains and put them through a series of tests before matching them to Harris’ DNA, police said.
Harris was last seen Feb. 20, 2016, about 2:30 a.m. at the Lazy Gator bar in the Merriman Valley’s bar complex. A friend, Kaila Watkins, who was 25 at the time, asked him for a ride home, according to police.
The two got in the car and Harris drove out of the parking lot onto Weathervane Lane. Instead of continuing on Weathervane Lane towards Merriman Road, Harris drove into an apartment complex driveway and crashed through a wooden barrier.
The car plummeted into the Cuyahoga River and sunk. Watkins told police they both escaped the car. She swam against the current to the riverbank and was unharmed.
Watkins told police she saw Harris swimming with the current, but never saw him again.
Relatives reported Harris missing two days after the crash and searched the river in the Merriman Valley following the crash.
If you’d like to comment on this post, please visit the cleveland.com crime and courts comments section.
- Human Remains Identified As Wesley Chapel Man Missing A Year
- How a bombshell report PREDICTED Australia's bushfire crisis with eerie precision 12 years ago
- Ancient human remains, ice age animal bones found in giant Mexican cave
- Nine sets of human remains discovered in Tay Ninh house
- 'Heslington brain' belonging to a British man decapitated 2,600 years ago was incredibly preserved thanks to unique folded proteins that could help fight dementia, study finds
- ‘Rotting’ face of leper woman who died in Scotland 500 years ago is reconstructed by scientists
- Body found in search for John Paul Smyth, 15, who went missing on New Year's Eve
- MSNBC’s Katy Tur Explains Why ‘Democrats Are No Closer To Defeating Mr. Trump Than They Were Three Years Ago’
- Caitlin Wright: Teenage girl, 14, who went missing outside Primark is found safe
- NYPD looking for Brooklyn teenager who went missing last week